New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Male or Female Gourami?

Started by pixie1963, June 25, 2010, 02:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixie1963

Hi, can anyone please tell me if these beauties are male or female. Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ottawa_fry22

Its a male I think and the females are beige, I could be wrong but they usually sell males for their color.  I just traded one like that in a few days ago at BA's.  :P
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

Fishnut

It's hard to tell from the pics. It depends on what kind of gourami it is.  Is it a dwarf gourami?  What was it sold to you as?

pixie1963

On the tank it said Flame Gourami. The top one is very light in color, and the brighter one chases it. I was watching them yesterday and they swam up beside each other, each facing a different direction then they started going around in circles. I have seen them do this a few times. Any help would be appreciated.

mseguin

I'd say the bottom one is definitely a male, top one is harder to tell but my guess would be female. Flame gouramis from what I remember are either a morph of Thick lipped gouramis or a hybrid with dwarf gouramis, and their colour is sometimes "enhanced" with dyes, making it sometimes hard to tell apart the sexes.

pixie1963

cdylnicki

I would say it depends where you bought it - some stores will only carry males in stock.  Were there other females in the tank?

The females I have seen are always about 1/3 the size, and silver/bronze in colour.  I believe you have 2 males.