New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Questions concerning Beta's

Started by Brent Shaver, July 17, 2010, 04:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Shaver

I have always been a fan of Beta's but didnt want to venture that way as they are to be kept alone.  Well now that I have a 110, 50 and in the middle of starting a 75 gallon I thought since they are all in the other room and I would like to have something small on my desk.

I picked up a small container that looks like a hamster transporter or starter tank.  It is plastic with a flop lid and vents with a handle.  I am guessing it is about a gallon possibly a little less.  It does hold water and would like to possibly put a Beta in it.

I see these in the smallest of containers in the stores so this should be like moving into a mansion for it.

Now what I would like to know
Should I look into getting a male or female?
What type of Beta should I look at considering it is a center piece?
Do I need airation or filter for safe keeping or will regular water changes do the trick?
Is there anything I should watch out for so I dont get a sick one?

Thanks in advance for any help suggestions given.

TLe041

I don't know how the practice of keeping bettas in containers with 1 cup of water started, but in their natural habitats, they live in rice paddies which are very large in size.

Like most fishes, they enjoy as much swimming room as possible. Personally, I wouldn't keep a betta in anything smaller than 5 gallons.

To answer your other questions,

Should I look into getting a male or female?

Males are the fancy looking ones that are sold in the little cups. Females lack the flowing tails and are less colourful. Generally, females are only kept for breeding purposes.

What type of Beta should I look at considering it is a center piece?

My personal favourites are crowntails (http://www.petshop-zoomania.com/BETA,%20Colisa,Gourami/04.%20BETTA%20Crown%20Tail.jpg).

Do I need airation or filter for safe keeping or will regular water changes do the trick?

Ideally, you should have a filter. Otherwise you'd have to do a water change every second day or so.

Is there anything I should watch out for so I dont get a sick one?

Nothing really specific. The general rules apply just like any other fish.
Tony

Brent Shaver

Thanks for the reply

I was a bit leary about something this small as well.  I guess I will wait to get a 5 or 10 gallon and put some plants in with it.

dan2x38

I had one in a 2.5g for along time: http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2198 My son (8) named him Rainbow. He was very happy there until finally he died after almost 2 yrs. :( I had a small filter, heater pad and because it was planted decoratively did add ferts so to control algae I did WCs every 3 days. He was King of his castle. I would never make any fish suffer in bowl unheated and unfilter. IMHO it is like them living in a small toilet bowl.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Brent Shaver

Well my gut told me to go get a filter, but TLeo41 brought up a good point and I will wait until I get my hands on a 5 or 10 gallon.  Then I will put on a HOB and heater to be sure.

Dont believe in keeping things in something that isnt at least close to there normal enviroment.

Thanks for the reply

dan2x38

At Big Al's they sell a filter by Red Sea nano deco filter I used it. It was a great little filter. The heater pads are also great they set the temp. at 78* (or most).

When buying one look for healthy fins. They are subject to fin rot - go figure.

I even had him in my 38g planted tank for awhile but he wasn't getting enough food with tetras in there. Some folks keep female bettas in community tanks. I think they are very pretty fish.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

cdylnicki

Consider though, that rice fields naturally dry up and the betta has adapted through evolution to survive when such occurs.  Betta's have been kept in households since the 1200's, but even before the beginning of rice paddy irrigation, they had to live somewhere and survive through both wet and dry seasons.

They can survive in water as shallow as 3 inches, and while I agree a small filter is good to have, make sure it is not too strong as the betta is not made to swim against strong currents. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarawaklens/3173820652/

Fishnut

All good care tips here, however, you should check out plakat bettas. They're short fined male bettas and they have even more of an attutiude and personality than their fluffy finned counterparts. Plus, you don't have to wait for them to fluff up to see how stunning they look. If you're into the big fins, check out half moon bettas :).

There's a guy in Montreal that Nerine and I visited. He's got some great bettas! He imported the parents and the fish he sells are the ofspring that he bred. There was a link in the group orders section with a link.  The fancier the betta, the higher the price :).

I have a pair of dragon plakats, and a couple of half moon pairs. All but the plakats are really young though. When I have time, I'm hoping they'll breed.