Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Old Country Ammonia for cycling

Started by newfiedragon, July 28, 2010, 08:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newfiedragon

I was wondering if Old Country ammonia from Home Hardware is good for cycling.  I know that some ammonia products can be harmful to fish. 

Has anyone used this product?  And also, how much would I use for cycling a 3 gallon?

karjean

From what i did read, it has to be pure ammonia. It cannot have any additive, somebody else could suggest a brand and the amount. I am still in the old way of putting a sacrificial fish to do the cycle.

Jeff1192

Yes Old Country is perfect for fishless cycling. You won't need much. I used it to cycle my 90 gallon a couple of years ago and I barely used any of it. If you don't mind the drive I can give you some....but I'm out in the far rural east end of the city.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

newfiedragon

I've actually already bought some Old Country, I just wanted to make sure that it was good because I couldn't find any information on the actual bottle about if there was anything else in it.  Thanks for offering, though.   :)

Any idea how much I would use for a 3g?  Maybe a drop a day or something like that?

Jeff1192

17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

newfiedragon

magnosis

It's what I used to cycle my 60g.  I started with very little amounts, did a water test 10-15 minutes after, added a bit more, tested again, until I got the desired Ammonia reading (I think it was 5ppm).  Take some notes so you can remember how many ml of the Old Country you need to raise your ammonia by 1 ppm.

cdylnicki

I have also heard that peeing in your tank will do the same thing...

:o