New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Changing from High Tech co2 planted to lower light sand tank

Started by ottawa_fry22, July 16, 2010, 05:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawa_fry22

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I would like to change our 75gal tank safely to an environment where Earth Eaters and Threadfin Acaras would be most happy, which I have read is soft sand.  We probably want to take one of our lights away, lower the co2, etc.  We have a good amount of plants right now.  We will want to switch to Anubias because they do good in sand. 

Is there a certain way to do this without it changing the water perimeters?  Just want to make sure that the fish don't get highly stressed from taking away and adding new stuff.  Can it be safe to just keep half of the water to replace?  I know there is alot of good bacteria in the gravel.

I also hear that silica sand is safe and cheaper.  Anyone else use silica sand from a pool store?

Any tips or suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

Stephanie

75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

pminister

uuuum i could be wrong. but few days ago i went to a pool store near my place in bells corners to get silica , and the store rep suggested that i should'nt use silica pool sand b/c it is dangerous to fishes due to some chemical that is in them. which is meant for filtration for pools.

instead suggested play sand from Home Depot. Or Merkleys for blasting sand, where you can get in different grain sizes.

ottawa_fry22

Thank you pminister for the suggestions.  I'm kinda torn differently directions on the decision of soft sand.  I guess I best go with play sand at Home Depot.  I just hope they have that very pale sand.  I would be looking for the softest.
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

dpatte

i used to use pool sand from mermaid pools. looked great and cheap. it had no additives. Ask first.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

dan2x38

Quote from: ottawa_fry22 on July 17, 2010, 01:38:56 PM
Thank you pminister for the suggestions.  I'm kinda torn differently directions on the decision of soft sand.  I guess I best go with play sand at Home Depot.  I just hope they have that very pale sand.  I would be looking for the softest.

Merkley is cheap they have tons of choices and types. I bought 80lbs for $14. Problem it pretty much is the smallest size... LOL
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

ottawa_fry22

I think we decided to go with sand from Mermaid Pools.  I would like it to be very fine grain and soft.  Either way, the 75gal right now has flourite gravel with hair algae.  >:(  So, any bright looking sand would be SOOO much better!  I can't wait! :D