Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Betta sickness Help!

Started by jimskoi, July 28, 2010, 01:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimskoi

Hope you guys can help a customer of mine out.This is her betta and it has some sort growth on it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

highliner

Its hard to see in the pic but it appears to be fungi after a cut. If this is it... I had the same thing happen to my royal red honey gourami and i healed him.
What i did was: I put him in a 5gal bucket (about 65% full) with a towel over it except for small area for air to come in as it is a labrynth fish this also seemed to make him calm with the dark and stop him from jumping i suggest the same for a betta. I than used an air pump for circulating his meds and only fed him about every 2-3 days (frozen food for extra protein as their weak and they dont feel much like eating, this tempts them) I used pimafix as according to the bottle and did 50-60% water change after a week. My gourami had quite a bit of "fluff" and already after a week with doing this his fungi was gone and he had an appetite. You could obviously do this in a quarantine tank but if your customer doesnt have one handy... also this darkness etc is what i found worked best for me and after almost 3 weeks he is 100% (a little skinny) but back in the main tank. Good luck to your customer :)

jimskoi

Quote from: highliner on July 28, 2010, 01:29:48 PM
Its hard to see in the pic but it appears to be fungi after a cut. If this is it... I had the same thing happen to my royal red honey gourami and i healed him.
What i did was: I put him in a 5gal bucket (about 65% full) with a towel over it except for small area for air to come in as it is a labrynth fish this also seemed to make him calm with the dark and stop him from jumping i suggest the same for a betta. I than used an air pump for circulating his meds and only fed him about every 2-3 days (frozen food for extra protein as their weak and they dont feel much like eating, this tempts them) I used pimafix as according to the bottle and did 50-60% water change after a week. My gourami had quite a bit of "fluff" and already after a week with doing this his fungi was gone and he had an appetite. You could obviously do this in a quarantine tank but if your customer doesnt have one handy... also this darkness etc is what i found worked best for me and after almost 3 weeks he is 100% (a little skinny) but back in the main tank. Good luck to your customer :)

Thanks for the reply.
I will let her know.She says that its eatting well and has tried some meds but maybe it wasnt long enough.
Thank you.
jim

highliner

No problem Jim if shes tried meds already tell her to just make sure the water is fresh with no other chems besides water conditioner and to be patient and to try not and bother him to much. Bettas are so resilient anyways so I am sure he/she will be great :) especially if the betta is eating that is a good sign however I found that during treatment they arent as interested in food.

It is also really great to see someone going this far out of their way for a customer... talk about service!!  ;D best of luck

jimskoi

Thanks.I will pass on the info to her.Thanks for the info.