Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ozone

Started by NjOyRiD, July 26, 2010, 09:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbelly

Not sure if you have this book or not NjOyRiD, but on page 330 of The Reef Aquarium, Charles Dilbeek and Julian Sprung recomend the following formula as a starting point if you want to be scientific and calculate a starting dosage:
Applied Ozone = (Liters of air/min into the ozone generator) x (mg of ozone/litre of air)     
                                Liters of water/min through skimmer or ozone reactor

Proper dosing of ozone is a bit of a balancing act really. You want a small amount of ozone to be running as all the time. Too much ozone and it will crash your bubble production, too little ozone and its just not very effective. And its for these reasons that people results with ozone use can be quite varied. I believe it was in a Randy Homes article where he didnt find ozone to be too effective, but in his setup he could not get his unit to maintain the redox he was aiming for. The most likely reason for this though was that he was not using an air dryer on a corona discharge unit. I too have found the same effect, that even with my corona discharge units running 24/7, without an air dryer their effectiveness is quite limited, hence why i highly recomend an air dryer. Personally though I have only ever used the DIY ones though so I cant really say if they are better or worse than tha fancy built in ones such as below:

This is the style of ozone generator that Calfo runs for his own tanks. He purchased his unit well over 10 years ago now and with his proper maintenance of the air dryer its still running strong.             

redbelly

Quote from: JetJumper on July 29, 2010, 01:07:44 PM
If you are into the Do it yourself OZone Generator, you can make one of these

They product a lot of ozone! :D  I know from experience!  (Not actually using it for the ozone aspect but it sure did generate a lot.)
As a smaller item you can make a Jacobs ladder

This is just ideas for anyone who wants to try something. :)
LOL, yeah that would produce a TON of ozone!
Oh and you can get that arcing effect just by dropping that light in the tank ;)

Why/how were you using units such as these?