Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Automatic feeders

Started by Fishnut, July 28, 2010, 10:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

It's been a while since I've used them, so I thought I would ask if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with any particular type.  They're not cheep!!

I'm not interested in using those white block vacation feeders, just the powered ones that I can fill with flakes or pellets.

Jeff1192

I just picked up one of these:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754940

It wasn't cheap because the shipping was almost as much as the unit. But I wanted something to be able to dose ferts when I'm out of town. This was the only one I could find with individual compartments after searching EVERYWHERE. With the individual compartments I can put exactly what I want dosed each day along with some food as well. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet but I'm hoping to get a test run going this week.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

markw

I don't want to sound negative, but unfortunately every model I've tried had issues. At one point I had 25 of them on half the tanks, and like you mention"they aren't cheap". I found they either failed, by clogging, seizing up, or worse dispensing way too much food at a time. I tried every top end model available(this was 5 years ago, so maybe things have changed), but never found one that really worked. Nothing replaces a real person!

Al

I've used and tried several brands but the only trustworthy one I have found has been the Eheim - it is rock solid. I am talking about the single tub unit not the dual. I have 6-8 of these and used them extensively - never, ever - had a problem. The only thing you have to be sure of is the set-up - set it up a couple of inches above the glass tops because it doesn't take real long for the fish to figure out where the grub comes from - and trust me, they know exactly the time that puppy is going off too! and there is a whole buch of "splishin' and a splashin" - at least with my hungry guys.
I highly recommend the Eheim and as I said, I have never had an issue with any of my units.
Good luck !!

Pink Punisher

I'd like to point out almost any healthy fish should be able to go a week without food. Now with discus it might be a different story as everything I've read says they need to be fed very frequently. Personally unless I was going to be away more one or more weeks I wouldn't bother getting the electric feeder. Just be careful when you get back not to feed them to much to quickly.

Spencer

Al

You are correct, they can go for a week but there can be many circumstances where you don't want that to happen - fry in the tank? behavioral changes with aggressive fish, etc. I know lots of tropheus keepers that like to feed 3-4 times/day in light portions (like your discus reference) and that can't be accomplished unless you're at home all day. And the feeders aren't always for vacation time - they can be for feeding regularly although a person can't fall into the trap of not watching their tanks closely, which we always do at feeding time. If you travel regularly for business and you don't want your better half to feed your fish, or they can't for whatever reason, there is another use for auto feeders. They can be a beneficial piece of equipment.
I didn't get the impression that the op was asking if they needed one or not -  nor did they say what the specific use was -  but was asking for feedback on their use, types and brands.

Saltcreep

I made a reply in this thread that you might find useful ....
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=45638.0