Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brittania Bay Slate

Started by artw, March 19, 2004, 11:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

I suspect the slate farm beside Brittania Bay Water Treatment plant is snow free.  I might go over their this weekend and get some rocks to bring to the mini auction.

Pisidan

Me too maybe ;) i live down the rd like 4 or 5 blocks from it !!!

dpatte

if you are going on Sunday afternoon, id like to go as well.

ambushman2j

they won't fetch very much if everyone gets some :p

Eirikre

I thought it was illegal to take things away from the river or river bank such as stone and soil.  At least I've always believed that to be the case for the protection of most bodies of water.  Although I'm sure it is not actively enforced.

Pisidan

The slate is not on the river bank or in the river it is up more inland!!

manytanks

Went to gather some slate there a few weeks ago for our 60-gallon. A lot of the area was still covered in snow, but managed to find enough for a couple of tanks. Not too many nice flat pieces, though...unless there's more that was covered by snow then.

And not to worry - the slate is on one huge berm of earth/rocks, etc. *well* away from the water's edge and not a part of it, in any case.

Nice being there, by the way - the Britannia/Aylmer rapids sounded like the ocean surf!

/Manytanks

james

Hey Art !
I thought the slate was suppose to be a secret lol.
Oh, well! At least now I'm not the only weirdo looking for rocks.
By the way when you get the slate try to choose bigger pieces than you want. You can shape the slate to the size and shape you want after. If you look closely the slate are layered.
A big piece can be easily split. Or a thick piece can break down like flakes Use a hammer and chisel
Happy rock hunting
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus