Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Discus Fry

Started by Jay, July 28, 2010, 12:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

So after two times with wigglers, I finally put a divider put into my 120g tank to separate my Discus pair and their fry from the rest of the fish.  It's next to impossible to count them all, but I estimate that there is probably about 50 fry.  They've been free swimming for 11 days now and are growing fast. 

On day 7 I separated about 20 of them into a barebottom 10G tank and started feeding them frozen baby brine shrimp, they seem to love it.  I only did a small amount since this is my first time, and I was a bit paranoid they would die once I started the water changes.  So far so good though.  The rest of them will probably be added on Monday.

Here's some pics....sorry they're from an iphone, and the rotate picture button didn't seem to want to work for me....

[attachment deleted by admin]

karjean

They look good, congrats and keep up the good work.

2075turner

Very Cool Jay 8) :)

Good luck with them...can't wait to see what they turn up like ;)

Jay

Thanks.....

They've been swimming for about 2 and a half weeks now and they're starting to get a little color.  I think most will be pigeons, but a few are a bit blueish.   

I was able to get them all into the grow out tank....all but one anyways, and a few are already the size of a dime.  The one I couldn't catch seems to be doing ok in the tank with the big boys, so Í'm going to leave it there to see what happens.  Not eating off the parents too much, and starting to swim around and pick at the plants by itself.

I did lose about 15 of them 2 days ago, so I put in some meds and they seem to be ok now. I don't know what happened....I'm doing %50 water changes twice a day, making sure the temp is the same, wiping out the tank each time, and feeding as much as I can.  Hopefully I won't lose any more.