Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

This hobby is driving me crazy.

Started by omarshabaz, July 26, 2010, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karjean

The new fixture, is it a plugged in type? Could you provide a picture? run an extension cord from another room receptacle, ie. kitchen counter split plug to have it from another breaker source. It could be your receptacle or the circuit being faulty.

dan2x38

This is crazy but true. I lived in place where the outlet in the bathroom didn't work. Made it tough to shave having an electric razor.  >:( Asked landlord to change it he knew I had a background as a apartment super so asked if I could change it I said sure. After I shut off the breaker pulled the plate unscrewed the outlet grabbed it to pull it out of the box and ZAP "Holy S~%#" I yelled. Any ways the end result with the landlord was a nightmare (not just this isse) and the ESA ended up in there (along with many others). They tested and determined someone had wired the ground hot. Maybe test if the ground is actually zero on that outlet (or others)? Just a whacky story...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

karjean

omarshabaz did you found the grounding problem? I did had a friend a while ago which had the same problem at his  farm and found out the bad receptacle was at the house at another location. You could start to isolate some circuits by turning them off at the electrical panel.
Quote from: dan2x38 on August 02, 2010, 07:19:13 PM
This is crazy but true. I lived in place where the outlet in the bathroom didn't work. Made it tough to shave having an electric razor.  >:( Asked landlord to change it he knew I had a background as a apartment super so asked if I could change it I said sure. After I shut off the breaker pulled the plate unscrewed the outlet grabbed it to pull it out of the box and ZAP "Holy S~%#" I yelled. Any ways the end result with the landlord was a nightmare (not just this isse) and the ESA ended up in there (along with many others). They tested and determined someone had wired the ground hot. Maybe test if the ground is actually zero on that outlet (or others)? Just a whacky story...
This is quite possible also.

omarshabaz

karjean

Try to isolate every circuits in the house one by one, and test as you go. You might find it this way, as you turn the breakers off, leave it off; but make sure it is only one circuit being turned off at a time. Once located which is the faulty one, turn all other ones off and keep the faulty one on and test all receptacles with a desk lamp so you know which one are on that circuit.

new2salt

Omar
Wondering if you have found the source of the problem?
Quote from: dan2x38 on August 02, 2010, 07:19:13 PM
You stated that you just moved.
Simple way to test household wiring to see if HOT, COMMON & GROUND are wired correctly.
Receptacle tester / Circuit Analyser
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/2/Electrical/ElectricalTesters/PRD~0520027P/GFI%252BReceptacle%252BTester%252B%252526%252BCircuit%252BAnalyzer.jsp?locale=en
Best to start at the source - the plug in the wall.
Most of today's electrical equipment - if not equipped with a 3 prong plug w/ground - uses polarized plugs.
Again, if the power source is not wired correctly, current will flow the wrong way.
I know, all of the electricians out there will say it doesn't matter - its AC - it alternates on its own.
But if not wired correctly - 3 prong w/ground or polarized plugs will not provide the electrical protection they were designed to provide.
Just a thought - start at the wall - all your equipment might just be OK and the problem is at the power source.

OttawaReefer

If you are using a multimeter try metering these:

Hot to neutral - you should have anywhere between 110 and 120.

Hot to ground - same result as hot to neutral

Neutral to ground - zero voltage  (or it will show millivolts)

Be sure that it is showing either zero or millivolts (a small "m" in front of the "V").

If you have anything between neutral to ground you need to make sure the socket is wired properly or that the house is wired properly.  All neutral wires in your house are only supposed to be bonded to the ground bar in one location.  If they have done it in different locations (or God forbid to water pipes) then you can have grounding issues or even a ground loop.