Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Best 'Pet' Fish?

Started by Mettle, October 19, 2005, 02:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

I was just curious what people thought the best 'pet' fish was. By this I mean a fish with personality and one that truly interacts with you a lot. Currently I have a bunch of tetras in my main tank - but I'd never classify these as 'pet' fish for example. My oscars I had before on the other hand I definitely would.

I'm just interested in seeing what people say.

Out of the fish I've owned... I found that goldfish, bettas, oscars, green terrors and dwarf puffers all make great 'pet' fish.

Ones I'd love to try having are a variety of different species of puffers (fresh, brackish and marine) and a flowerhorn.

I find most of these 'pet' fish are a lot more interactive and involved with you if they're kept solitary. It's more akin to having a dog or cat than it is a fish. But may it's just me? Any opinions?

Iceman

Never really had any pet fish other than Gouramis would would hand feed, but for personality, I like Corys. The way they scoot about the substrate hoping for a morsel of food,  and when they find that juicy bloodworm, get dead still while they chomp it down.

Julie

Oscars and clown loaches.  

Julie

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

henry

AdamR

Not sure if you would consider it a "fish" but I miss my cleaner shrimp, can't wait to get a sw tank again.  He would always come up, hang on my finger and start picking away at any dry skin and then there is the molting.  That freaked me out the first time I saw it!  Can't think of anythink more fun in an aquarium.

mseguin

I had an African butterfly fish that would eat ants from my hand, loved that fish. And we had mudskippers at BA that would hop right into ur hand to eat, and even fight over ur hand. They were awesome.

UCGrafix

I personally have had Couramies for quite a while, and I have always had fun interacting with them, anytime beside the morning feeding, when I go up to the tank, they all come close to the glass and greet me, that includes my Clown loaches as well.

Flawed_Artist

Polypterus . . . Bichirs. Mine remind me of a terrier, but only aquatic and slow - they're easily as curious and explorative, and just as responsive and interactive. Best fish I've ever had.

squeeker

Well, of course I'm going to say goldfish!

bettas are also great, and Oscars are renowned for their interactive-ness.

artw

I had an acei that was my pet fish. he would literally come out of the water to eat pellets out of my fingers.
ask Luvfishes she saw it hehe

Mettle

Quote from: "squeeker"Well, of course I'm going to say goldfish!

I really like my mom's goldfish tank that she has in our dining room. They're great and quite interactive, too. The little black moore she has is now trained to eat out of her fingers as he was being outcompeted for food before... They learn quickly!

And I brought home a feeder goldfish the other day that I have set up in a spare 10gallon at the moment. He's got a calico pattering, a little black Hitler stash and a black skullcap on his head - thus I've named him Hitler the Jew. I'm too offensive for my own good, sometimes.

I just wish goldfish didn't get as big as they do. I don't know what I'll do with this guy later on.

PaleoFishGirl

Angels! They are like little puppy dogs in water :D  They're so cute when they come up to the surface and nibble on your fingers to get at the food.

Julie

Discus will also.  I used to handfeed mine.