Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Angelfish fry

Started by Patrick S, April 22, 2011, 11:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick S

We watched our young angelfishes lay eggs a few times, then probably eat them after only one day or two. This time I stole the Echinodorus leave with all the eggs and put it in a 10gal tank with a few drops of Methylene blue. The leaf was placed under a bubbler to insure good aeration, and a tooth pick and a drop counter are used to get rid of the "bad" eggs. After one day and one night, only two eggs had to be discarded.

Now, what if the eggs successfully hatch? What kind of food would be best for the first few days after they start free swimming (brine shrimp, micro worms, etc.)? All advices are welcome as this is my first experience at raising angels.

Thank you,
Patrick

Fishnut

Definately baby brine shrimp!  When I bred angels, they ate baby brine shrimp exclusively for the first few weeks, then I slowly introduced the powdery commercial baby fish food.  By the time they were about fingernail size, they were eating crunched up flake food for the most part.  They all got BBS at least once a day even when they were a saleable size...aprox twooney size.

Microworms are a great first food too.  I chose BBS because I seem to costantly crash my microworm cultures :)

Congrats!

Toss

I used frozen BBS and crushed or fine grind flakes. Frequency is more important than quantity. After you got a few hundreds and a few grow out tanks, you don't want your angels to breed again  ;) :)
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

freshfishies

Congrats Patrick! That's awesome!  :)