Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Chlorine

Started by Aiglos, October 04, 2005, 11:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiglos

Hey;

Good news everyone,  I just called my local water (petawawa) and found out that they don't use Chloramine;  So ive been WAY overdosing in my water conditioner

They do use chlorine and it is at 1.6ppm;  can somone tell me if this is alot or very little.  Im just curious becuase I do alot of water changes and my water conditioner is starting to get pretty expensive,  now that I know I can cut the doses down becuase of the lack of chloramine can am I good just doing the recommended chlorine amount ?

Thanks. . .  

I am not an expert in chemistry so any help would be good.

darkdep

An option...if they are using Chlorine you can technically use no water conditioner at all.  Chlorine will evaporate from standing water within 24 hours.  You can put it in a bucket and use it the next day straight.

BigDaddy

Better to put an airstone in it for the day.

darkdep

It is better to put an airstone in it, but you CAN get away without.

Iceman

Before Ottawa went to chloramine, I never used conditioner. Let the water sit for 24 hours and never had a problem. If you are a little worried about it, put the airstone in.

Nelson

Quote from: "Iceman"Before Ottawa went to chloramine, I never used conditioner. Let the water sit for 24 hours and never had a problem. If you are a little worried about it, put the airstone in.

I have storage containers for both freshwater and brackish water changes.  The containers each have a submersible pump, heater and an air stone that is intended primarily for uniform heat distribution, but also useful to dissipate chlorine/chloramine.

Aiglos

Right on; On my smaller tanks I will definatly start doing that, great news..

Unfortanatly I do large weekly water changes on my 125  with my python so I will have to stick to using water conditioner ; sometimes living in a small town has its advantages.  

thanks for the input

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Nelson"I have storage containers for both freshwater and brackish water changes.  The containers each have a submersible pump, heater and an air stone that is intended primarily for uniform heat distribution, but also useful to dissipate chlorine/chloramine.

Airstones won't dissipate chlormine in standing water Nelson.  That's why you need a conditioner to break the chlorine/ammonia bond.