Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help!!!

Started by Shawn84, May 28, 2011, 11:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn84

I notice these look like fungus growing on a piece of driftwood that i bought while i was in MTL bought 5 piece and only this one seem to have this thing grow on it. Can someone help me ID this and tell me is it bad good. How i get rid of it. Right now the tank is going through its cycling stage as I made the mistake of using all fresh media on the filter and using fresh new water and not from an old tank. So its a waiting game now. There are 2 female guppy and a crowntail beta in there to help with the cycling. I added bacteria supplement to help get it going.

Sorry if it is a bit difficult to see as i took these pic from my blackberry.

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Toss

Tiny part of the wood is decaying. It is a normal thing, nothing to worry. When you clean the bottom with a hose, just suck them up the same time.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

Shawn84

Ok thank you Toss :)
A bunch a fishes.....

daworldisblack

Could also be the bacteria growing on the driftwood.. also normal.. Mine had that too and it looked more like ghostly white film.. if thats what you see, usually it goes away.. So fishes eat it too..
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

dan2x38

You may have also picked up some Manzanita driftwood - cool stuff by the way. It has a weird property when first added to the aquarium it releases this whitish to clear slim coat that covers the wood can come out in patches as well. It is harmless and plecos plus some other bottom feeders love the stuff. I have not found out what it is exactly but it formed on all that wood I bought. To get rid of it you can wipe it off and to prevent boil the wood for some time before adding to tank.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

magnosis

Yes I've had the same thing happen to Manzanita wood I had bought from the store, it's quite normal.
I posted about it here some time ago.

At first I would try to remove it with a toothbrush and python, but it just kept coming back as part of a natural cycle.  I let it be and it went away within a month.  (I should have updated my thread at the time, oops!)

As the others said, it's nothing to worry about 8)

Shawn84

:) Thank you all for the info. I will leave it alone. Let the pleco eat it once the tank is finish its cycling stage

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....