Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Params of Tap Water.

Started by Mettle, October 23, 2005, 01:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie

I agree water change the first line of defense.

FISHLUVR

Last time I checked the nitrites in the tank they were in the .01 range..........I'll change the water with the bottled stuff and only add the maracyn if the nitrites are .01 or less.

Julie

Loaches are scaleless, but can't they tolerate a bit of salt?
I'm positive I used epsom salt in my community.
Epsom salt is not what you want to use, but sea salt.

Julie

squeeker

It's not recommended to use salt with scaeless fish, that said I've never tried.

luvfishies

OK. I'll say it again. LOACHES, PLANTS, and "salt sensitive" species can and will be perfectly fine with 1 tsp salt (NaCl) in 20 gallons of water. My loaches and plecs, and "sensitive" tetras were fine with the recommended ICH dose of 1 TBSP/5g, which is way more than what will really help with the nitrITE issue here.

Epsom salts are used for bloat, dropsy, and to raise the General Hardness, and it's recommended at a dose of 1 tsp/g. This will NOT do any good in this case at all. An Epsom bath is for a very short duration, and is about 5X as concentrated as the "dose".

FISHLUVR, get the either of the water conditioners I mentioned earlier. Yes, Maracyn II can and will kill the biofilter, but with DAILY waterchanges with "safe" water, you'll still be on top of the game here. You're going to be doing waterchanges like crazy anyways, so don't worry about a small cycle. You and the fish will ride it out with the daily waterchanges.

right now, you need to treat the fish. Then you need to treat your tapwater IN THE LONG TERM. Once you have a way to neutralise the nitrite poisoning, and the wonky tapwater, you and your fishies will be well on the way to recovery.

I do hate to say it, but you may lose the angel. But look at this as a learning experience, and don't look back. Do what needs to be done now, and always go forward.

Here's an interesting article on FLEXIBACTER

Hope it helps.

Mettle

In fighting ich in my tank I used a concentration of approximately 1 tbs. per 5 gallons in terms of regular aquarium salt. And to be honest, it was probably a bit more than that. I didn't lose any of my clown loaches or tetras. That's just my experience, though. Others could have had different results.

FISHLUVR

luvfishies..........Thank you for the Flexibacter article........the pictures of the mouth and description of the different stages appear to be exactly like what is happening to my angel.......