New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bad fish keeper

Started by elk, June 13, 2011, 01:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk

There is an ad on used ottawa where she is selling 6 4-5 inch Silver Dollars and a 4 inch convict all for 10.00
The ad says they are healthy and she wants to make sure that whoever buys them has a huge tank for them.

Well I went to see them and when I arrived at her apt in a community housing project on ogilvie rd. all the fish were in a tupperware,I asked to see the tank that they were in and she showed me,it is a 10g.
The mouths on the fish were bashed in from hitting the glass and the fins were chewed up.

cdylnicki

Thats unfortunate, but it could also come from being given poor advice from whom she acquired them from. 

Some people believe that if you keep fish in a small tank they will only grow to a certain size...

I hope you took them & are treating them with the respect & care they deserve.

Nerine

Might just be a case of being misinformed...I hope you directed the person to OVAS!! there's a wealth of knowledge here on choosing fish and how big they get and experiences :)

people are generally informed that Silver Dollars stay the size of a silver dollar!!! I know I was told that when I was first interested in them (though I knew otherwise)

Maybe they were in the Tupperware because they had to be out of the tank for you ? I know I do that for people when they come pick up a fish, I pre "pack" them in something small.

Any pics of your new fish ? :) Hope they are adjusting well!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts