New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Nitrate Filter

Started by mmaisonneuve, August 02, 2011, 01:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmaisonneuve

Anyone ever attempted to use a Nitrate Filter like the one proposed by Aquaripure (http://www.aquaripure.com/). It's indeed an intriging device.
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

Darth

I seen this too and it looks just like a canister filter and using the vodka to boost your bacteria you can just dose vodka without with the same effects I believe

uarujoey

If you must have something to combat nitrates, do something more natural like adding fast growing plants, or build an algae scrubber.

Algae scrubber would be at the top of my list though. Easy to build, easy to maintain, and does a great job.

Another easy option is to buy some Pothos. It's a very common household plant. Easy to grow with little light.

Simply set the plant on top of your tank, and let the roots submerge in the water. No soil, or pot needed. It will grow quickly depending on ambient light.

mmaisonneuve

We are taling about a sw tank here. I have my doubts about the house plant
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

uarujoey

The house plant...... aquaponics is nothing new. It is a very effective way to reduce nitrates... Results are factual.

I wasn't aware this was a salt thread. Either way, there are also plants used in saltwater sumps and tanks as well..

Even though this is a salt thread, my recommendations dont change.

The mangrove propagule(Rhizophora mangle)... Place it in your sump, or on top of the tank.. This is not a new concept, or new idea. It is already widely used, and popular. Another effective and safe way to lower nitrates.

Or since this is a saltwater tank, why not add some Macro Algae like Chaeto to the sump?

Just trying to throw some ideas around that are effective,easy and cheap!

mmaisonneuve

I'll try the cheato and see. I'm in a nanocube (29 Gal) and the backroom is already full with the addition of the skimmer. I guess I can put some directly in that tank ?

uarujoey

Quote from: mmaisonneuve on August 03, 2011, 09:14:23 AM
I'll try the cheato and see. I'm in a nanocube (29 Gal) and the backroom is already full with the addition of the skimmer. I guess I can put some directly in that tank ?

Directly in the tnak would be an eye sore.

If you can slip it into your sump somewhere, and light it, that would be much better. OR, simple plumb in a 5gal tank somewhere and just do it in that!