Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Betta males- you gotta read this!

Started by svetlana, July 05, 2011, 09:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svetlana

I've been importing a breeding Bettas from Thailand for a couple of years now.  Because I became a little too excited with my last shipment, I ended up breeing quite a few pairs at a time.  I split up the young and put some in a 30G and the rest in a 55G. 

Now here's the strange part.....  I have many 5 month olds males in the same tank  :).  None are fighting, none have split fins- they don't even pay attention to each other- ya, you heard me right, it's like having a community tank. 

But check this out...  As soon as I separate them into jars is when they finally start to flare at each other and I'm talking within minutes of separation.  All the bettas withing the tanks are approx the same age given a day or two and I only have so many jars for the males, but it all seems to be working out. :P

magnosis

Very interesting, thanks for sharing !

Have you tried to move them back from the jars into the tank ?  I wonder if they will remain aggressive then.

svetlana

No I haven't although now that you have asked, I will attempt it this weekend and see what happens.  I'll keep you posted on the outcome

brotherluv

This will be interesting to find the outcome.