Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Can I put a male Betta with Cherry Barbs in a 90 gallons planted tank???

Started by chickenswell, August 01, 2011, 10:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chickenswell

Hi, I have a beautiful male Betta in a 1 gallon tank. I also have about 20 Cherry barbs, 6 danios, 2 siamese algaeters, 6 Clown Loach and 1 bushynose in a 90 gallons tank. The 90 gallons has lots and lots of live plants in it. In fact, the plants occupy half of the tank, most of it at the surface, a real jungle  :). I'd like to know if I could transfer the Betta in the 90 gallons.  Any thoughts on that?

Dorrie

Personally, I wouldn't chance it - lots of fin nippers and generally fast swimming, boisterous fish in there (risk of intimidating the betta and keeping him away from the surface for air and food) - but not all fish answer to their types, so I guess you're the one who knows your fish best. If you think the betta could feed and breather easily and keep all of his fins, try it during a day you're at home to monitor the behaviour of all inhabitants.

washefuzzy

I had my beta in the tank with the same fish you have. It went very well. I would hand feed the beta at feeding time since he is slower than the other fish.

washefuzzy

The beta also like to have a hidy place to rest once in awhile.