Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

overflow system from glass-hole.com

Started by Gaspare, July 29, 2011, 01:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaspare

I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased a overflow kit from http://www.glass-holes.com/ 

The 1500 overflow kit includes 2 x 1.5" bulkheads, overflow box , 2 x elbows and glass drill bit all for about $100.00. 

Just curious if anyone has used these kits before.

Thank you

Gaspare

uarujoey

Thats actually a really good deal considering whats included.

The kits will do as they are suppose to, although i'd be a bit concerned with the noise level of it. A bit of tweaking/modding, and its a really nice overflow.

dan2x38

Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Gaspare

I actually ended up ordering the 3000 gph kit.  From what I have read if you under drive theses kits they are very silent.  I am presently going to be using a mag 12 return with  a 2 " drain lines.  If I ever needed to change my pump in the future, I wanted to ensure I had an overflow that would allow me to increase the flow. 
I will keep you all posted on my progress.  I have never drilled glass before and I hope it is as easy as it looks on youtube.

Not looking forward to draining the tank and especially moving it.  It is a 150gal tall tank is built into a custom display cabinet.

Nyx

Don't worry. I'll be there to supervise and tell you what to do.  :-*
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

gerryo

I have had 2 kits from Glass-Holes and am pleased with the results.  My first tank to drill was a 33g with 1/4 in. glass.  NO PROBLEMS.

The next was a 15g tank with very thin glass.  CRACKED 2 TANKS.

With the thin glass you have to be very careful and do what they tell you in the instructions.  DO NOT USE ANY FORCE WITH THE DRILLING PROCESS.  Your 150 should be good, but hold up on the drill and let the cutter do it's work.

As to noise level.  Of the 4 that I succeeded with, there is not even the slightest  sound from the drain.  Quiet as a mouse.

Gaspare

Thank you for the information.  I can't wait for my shipment to arrive.  I will keep you all posted as this project progresses.   :P :P 

Gaspare

Shipment arrived last night and i can't wait to start.  I will post pictures tonight of the kit.  I was very pleased at the quality and workmanship of the overflow box.  A hundred times better then I could of made. 

I have been making RO water like a mad man.

I have temporarily set up a kiddy pool in my living room to house the corals while I work on the tank.   8)

God bless my wife for all of her patience.  :-*

nelson

From an earlier post.  Been using a toilet tank valve assembly for over a year with no problems whatsoever.  The entire setup cost less than $40.

Gaspare

You're idea is ingenious, Nelson. :)

Well, my glass hole kit arrived yesterday. It shipped from California but took only a week to get here!  ;D

Here's what came in the kit: the very nicely made overflow box (18" x 3.5") handles up to 3000 GPH; the optional lid (as I don't want anymore fish ending up in the fuge); 3" diamond drillbit; 2 x 2" bulkheads; 2 elbows; 2 vent tubes; gaskets; 1 template; 1 bumper sticker (which my wife won't let me put on the car); and 2 packages of candies (which my wife ate before I could take the picture).

Nyx

Quote from: Gaspare on August 09, 2011, 08:54:49 AM
God bless my wife for all of her patience.  :-*

Sucking up isn't going to make up for the kiddie pool in the living room. :\ Maybe a new coral or something new for my computer would, though.  :-*

magnosis

Quote from: Nyx on August 10, 2011, 07:30:06 AM
Sucking up isn't going to make up for the kiddie pool in the living room. :\ Maybe a new coral or something new for my computer would, though.  :-*

Lol pwnd ! 

sorry for the l33t-speak, this is just a classic case for which I have no better words...

Nyx

Quote from: magnosis on August 10, 2011, 10:04:33 AM
Lol pwnd ! 

sorry for the l33t-speak, this is just a classic case for which I have no better words...

lol Definitely! Especially as my house stinks to high heaven like a fish market.  ???