Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Good US exchange rate ?

Started by magnosis, August 25, 2011, 03:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

I'm driving to the US tomorrow to pick up new wheels for my GTI  8)
Said wheels are payable in US cash.

I haven't checked already (doh) but assume my bank (TD) will give me ludicrous rates at the ATM...

I remember going to a currency exchange outlet somewhere in the city, few years back when I travelled to China. I can't remember the name of that place.  They guaranteed the best rates in town... and I remember it was better than TD at the time.  Do you know the name of that place / company / business ?

Where would you go to exchange currency nowadays ?

magnosis

I'll try the Ottawa Foreign Currency Exchange (since they're opened after 5)
If that doesn't work out I'll just go straight to TD.

TD's website advertises better rates than all the independent currency exchange outlets I could find in Ottawa..... but I wouldn't blindly trust what their website shows.

Greatwhite

I'll race you to the US tomorrow!  I'm heading to Syracuse for some cheap outlet clothes shopping for the kids for a few days.

The best exchange rate you'll get for cash is at the bank, by the way.  Don't use the ATM, just walk in and yell "ALRIGHT! THIS IS A STICK UP!!! GIVE ME $x.xx IN US DOLLARS!!!" and you're all set.

Currency exchange "shops" make all their money off exchanging money.  They add a higher percentage to the transaction than the bank does because the bank has other ways to make money.

It's too bad you can't use a credit card, because that's how you get an even more fair exchange rate.

rockgarden

I picked up $100 US at TD yesterday for my son's trip and it cost me CAN$100.78.  Every minute of every day is different so ...

Ron

SeaKing

There is Accu-rate on Carling beside Lincoln Heights.  You could try to get a cash advance on your credit card. I wonder if they provide the same rate as a purchase. You can call them to ask.

Greatwhite

Wifey says she got $200 US for $204 CDN...  Perhaps we need to move our accounts to TD! :)

brotherluv

At the world exchange plaza there is a foreign currency exchange place and a TD bank...

Shawn84

My girlfriend just exchange some US money for Las Vegas. She got 1000 US and pay 1003 CDN
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

magnosis

I tried both this morning:

TD:  600 US$ cost me 609.xx CND$

OFCE: 600 US$ cost me 601.xx CND$

Quote from: Greatwhite on August 25, 2011, 04:28:33 PM
The best exchange rate you'll get for cash is at the bank, by the way.

Sorry to prove you wrong  ;)