Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

TDS

Started by Mila, October 18, 2005, 10:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mila

Can somebody point me to good, practical info about TDS in tank water, please.

Thanks

Mila

zapisto

what sort of info you need ?

rockgarden

Enjoy.

This source is not specific to aquariums but gives you all of the lingo you need to talk about it.

http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/tds-sources.asp

Ron

rockgarden

The following site reference is more detailed and focussed on the different types of TDS testers and what they do or don't do.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/index.php

Mila

Quote from: "zapisto"what sort of info you need ?

I just got the meter and testing of my tanks make my head spinning.
My tap water 90 ppm
All planted tanks 150-270 ppm
African tanks 750 ppm
I need to know what to aim for for different sp. and how.

Thanks

Mila

DARKPHREAK

I think the only real need for a TDS meter is for us reefers. We dont want anything in our water when we add it to the tank. My tap reads 42 ppm and 0 after the RO/DI unit.

Testing your tank water isnt really telling you anything because the water isnt "pure",  theres tons of bugs, poo and such in the tank.

You aim for a reading of 0 or near there from the RO/DI, when it starts raising its time to change the filters.

Mila

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"I think the only real need for a TDS meter is for us reefers. We dont want anything in our water when we add it to the tank. My tap reads 42 ppm and 0 after the RO/DI unit.
Testing your tank water isnt really telling you anything because the water isnt "pure",  theres tons of bugs, poo and such in the tank.

So why "Kent AF cichlid chemistry" recommends to measure and adjust TDS or GH  ?

Mila

zapisto

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"I think the only real need for a TDS meter is for us reefers. We dont want anything in our water when we add it to the tank. My tap reads 42 ppm and 0 after the RO/DI unit.
NOt agree
All south american dwarf lover will tell you , that , it is important for us also :)
Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"
You aim for a reading of 0 or near there from the RO/DI, when it starts raising its time to change the filters.
True :)