Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 48gal....suggestions please!

Started by Jim, October 16, 2005, 09:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Its cycling still but i have it all set and ready for my fish  :)

I'm running an AC 70 and a sponge filter as you can see.

I know that there are 2 different types of light and it looks funny but it came like that and i'm buying some.

ANY comments or suggestions are appreciated!

JIM

zapisto

usually before did any fish suggestion i like to know your water parameter :)

mseguin

From you're aquascaping, I would suggest a small cichlid, especially west african, such as pelvicachromis or nannochromis. Just my opinion.

Jim

my water parameter?

someone fill me in please.

Jim

For fish i was planning on having:

1 electric blue ahli, 1 Sev,1 Firemouth, 5 giant danios, 3 Clown Loaches,1 BN pleco

Flawed_Artist

I agree with mseguin, but if you've been there and done that, that tank could be perfect for a freshwater stream, if you put in a powerhead or two.

I've had good luck with polypterus, too - I can't see why they wouldn't be able to go in. Maybe a smaller species would work, like P. senegalus.

Flawed_Artist

That's awesome! Please, post how it goes . . . I haven't seen a lot of African-South American mix tanks. Just a weird thought, though, have you thought of adding rainbowfish to that plan?

Jim

Thanks for the replies!

I'll post a pic when i have some fish in.

I did think about rainbowfish but they are a bit expencive.

JIM

Mettle

I generally don't like mixing South American and African cichlids - but I've seen it work out in a number of cases. Though for the most part it's been predominantly Africans with a single convict and then some plecos.

On the note of rainbow fish - if you're interested in neon dwarf rainbows, Super Pet has a sale on them right now. 2 for $5. If memory serves me correctly on the average price of giant danios, then it'd be cheaper to do the neon dwarf rainbows. They're also nicer than giant danios in my opinion, though I don't think they get quite as big.

mseguin

Yeah I love the dwarf rainbows, eventually gonna have to get some, btu no room or money right now. A good school of them would spectacular.

Mettle

I used to think rainbow fish were ugly and not all that interesting. But I've warmed up to them. I think they're be nice to have, if I had the tank space and money for some of the bigger/nicer ones. However they're not a 'top priority' fish. Even a school of the dwarf neons rainbows would be nice to watch.

NjOyRiD

would that kind of look, i would only put some central american ciclhids like Firemouth, jacks, etc etc
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

UCGrafix

Quote from: "Jim"my water parameter?
someone fill me in please.
Sure,

Use a test kit to verify the levels of Chlorine, PH, CHloramine, Nitrite and so on.

Since your tank seem to be new in it's process, I would suggest some cheap fish such as guppies of some sort, to build the bachteria cycle, you will also need some solutions to treat the water, I use the following,
- Hagen Cycle, to create good Bachteria.
- Hagen AquaPlus, to treat the water, it removes the Chlorine, coats the fish for protection and is also a stress releife.
- Hagen Control, to manage waste, keep the filter in a better health and the tank benefits from it.

Other products from other manufacturers can be used, it's a question of opinion I think.

If I gave to much information, just disregard, since I am not sure if you have done this already.

Jim

I have my catfish in it right now and i'm using bio support.

I'll try to get the levles up soon also.

Jim

and thanks for the info Mettle i think i may get dwarf rainbows on the weekand if its ready yet.