Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

LF: Office tank recommendations

Started by murgus, November 02, 2005, 09:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murgus

Hi All,

I am looking for suggestions for a small (1-2 gal) office tank.  Low maintenance is a must and its inhabitants would need to survive on their own for the weekends and up to a week or more occaisonally.

Can anyone suggest a tank / filtration method / planted vs non-planted / good inhabitants / etc?

murgus

BigDaddy

I have a 10 gallon at the office

Any fish can handle the weekend without food.  If you feed 'em week a couple of days before a week vacation, they'll be fine too

Mine's planted, and I have rams and rasboras

I use an AC mini on the tank, and the light on a timer.

PaleoFishGirl

I had a betta in my old office in Edmonton, in this (the 1 gallon):

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441776904&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030099&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1130987967292

Low maintenance, fun to watch, easy to clean up after.  I didn't even use the filter part of it.

luvfishies

1-2 gallons is only good for ONE betta.

If you upgrade to a 5g, you could have a couple of pretty applesnails (bridgesii) that don't eat plants, in addition to the betta.

sarahbella

I recommend a Betta  (no bias here heh heh heh)

A betta can go a month without food, and they are very clean.  You could have a nice thing going in your office with a little potted plant as well.  Suck the goop out of the tank with a turkey baster and put the nasty water right into the plant, top the tank up with some bottled water and you dont even have to leave your desk to freshen the tank ;)   Throw in a mystery snail for a little extra housekeeping.

darkdep

I would love to have a small tank at the office but I think people would complain for some reason.  Any of you "office tankers" ever get any resistance from your employers?

BigDaddy

One sentence for your defense:

"There's less in here than there is in the water cooler"

Aiglos

Water coolers are only 5 gallons :-)    i DOUBT that would work with your setup Mr Big Daddy.

Glenn

Think I saw a pic somewhere of a small fish tank that looked like a water cooler. . .  could be like camoflauge for the office.

Glenn

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Aiglos"Water coolers are only 5 gallons :-)    i DOUBT that would work with your setup Mr Big Daddy.

Yeah... but they don't know how big the tank is  LOL

Sailfin

Betta's are good.    I've seen some 2.5 gal tanks a few offices down with a plants and zebra danios in it.

mseguin

Endler's are nice, stay small, and are easy to take care of.

zapisto

i have a 20g in my office.
rigth now this tank is moving to house , shrimp and badis.

filtration is wet&dry , ligth on timer.
of course will be heavyly planted, with all kind of moss.

before this tank was the home of a pair of Pelvicachromis subocellatus, and they bree for me , (too many i would say).
all the parent and baby is now home.

kitten

I used to keep a small tank in my office at one of the previous places I worked.  Everybody enjoyed looking at it.  It contained a few silk plants, a betta and an albino cory.  

The only think that was ever said about it was to just make sure I kept it on a part of my desk where if it were to leak it wouldn't leak onto the computer or any of the other electrical equipment or wires.

It was funny the number of people who would visit me just to watch the fish swim around for a few minutes.