New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

15 gallon shrimp only

Started by Jeff1192, March 04, 2012, 08:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

So I have been running a Fluval Edge for about a year now and it eventually became a shrimp-only tank. However, I was frustrated as I had very little breeding going on with my CRS. My cherry shrimp were breeding like crazy (but I think they would breed in a puddle!).

After doing some reading and confirming what I had read with Charlie on the forum (thanks for the advice again!) I decided it was time to move them to a bigger home. We are going to be having a new home built (hopefully this summer) and it's going to mean shutting down my 90 gallon for a while (since the basement won't be finished at first). Because of this it was pretty easy to convince my wife to go along with me moving the shrimp to a 15.  I'm going to shut my Edge down for now but once we move I'm going to keep a couple of fish from the 90 and move them to the Edge. These 2 little tanks will have to keep me satisfied for now (haaha).

Ok, back to the new 15 gallon. I set it up this weekend with Fluval Stratum substrate and some plants from both my other tanks. For filtration I'm currently using to Aquaclear Mini's that I had lying around. Once I shut down my 90 I think I'll use my Eheim Pro II canister on this tank, I'll just throttle it back so that there isn't too much circulation. For lighting a I picked up a Marineland Double Bright LED fixture. I really like this light and I think it will be enough as I want to keep this tank low-tech, low maintenance.  I moved all my shrimp over to the new tank last night. That turned out being the hardest part. It is NOT easy catching 50 odd shrimp out of a Fluval Edge due to the very small opening. I drained about 2/3 of the water and it wasn't too bad a job. It was a very good thing that I had the triangular net that Fluval makes for this tank otherwise I think I'd still be trying to catch them.

Everyone seems happy in the new tank today. It's a little sparsly populated right now so I may have to pick up a few more shrimp to help fill it a bit. I'm not patient enough to wait for them to do it themselves...haha. Some of the plants I moved from my 90 I'm not expecting to do well in low light....but I figured we'll see what happens and if they don't work it will just give me an excuse to go plant hunting...that's never a bad thing.

This weekend was pretty crazy so I haven't had a chance to get some photos yet. I'll try to get some up later this week.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

touchofsky

It sounds like a nice little tank.  I hope your shrimp do better in their larger quarters and I look forward to pictures. 

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Jeff1192

All right so things have been kinda crazy but I finally got around to getting some photos done. They're not the greatest because my wife is the photographer but here goes:

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

daworldisblack

Quote from: Jeff1192 on March 13, 2012, 02:53:36 PM
All right so things have been kinda crazy but I finally got around to getting some photos done. They're not the greatest because my wife is the photographer but here goes:

Jeff

Wow looks nice ! What moss is it that you have on the driftwood?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Jeff1192

Quote from: daworldisblack on March 13, 2012, 03:20:28 PM
Wow looks nice ! What moss is it that you have on the driftwood?

It's flame moss. I have it in my 90 gallon high light tank. I thought I'd try it in here. I'm not sure if it will like the lower light or not. Time will tell.

- George Orwell

daworldisblack

Quote from: Jeff1192 on March 13, 2012, 03:21:53 PM
It's flame moss.

Thought so :) Been looking for it and missed it at the auction too! Looks real nice!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Jeff1192

So it's been a little over a month now that the 15gallon has been up and running. The shrimp seem very happyand suprisingly the blyxa japonica is still doing well. I find the shrimp are far more active in the larger tank and yesterday I noticed that one of my CRS is carrying around a ton of eggs. So hopefully the bigger tank will end up being the solution to the lack of breeding I have seen with my CRS.

On a related note, I put some Fire Red cherry shrimp in my 90 gallon a while back to see how they would do seeing as there were multiple predators for them in the tank. They have done far too well....I'm willing to be that there are at least 100 in there...maybe more. So when we move and I have to shut down my 90 I may have to hold a giant shrimp sale!

Jeff

- George Orwell

bettabreeder

Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk