Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Coco huts/caves

Started by bizfromqc, February 16, 2012, 09:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sas

You forgot a step, you need to eat all of the coconut meat :D.
Good looking coconuts for sure!

bizfromqc

Quote from: Sandy on February 17, 2012, 05:38:21 PM
Well after some hard work and some helpful hints I decided to try this myself, Thanks Bizfromqc

Good looking huts  :)

DaWolfe

They all look great. good job Sandy and Biz.  They should make your fish happy!

touchofsky

I made two of these a few years ago, and I cut mine through the middle as well.  They darken with age and blend in very nicely.

wolfiewill

Quote from: bettabreeder on February 17, 2012, 08:47:05 PM
I claim being the founder of this craze!!! ;P buy two coconuts from a grocery store. Hammer them in half, or use a hack saw. Remove the fruit and boil the shell till the tannis is all out. From the looks of the pictures posted people are cutting them length wise. Personally mine are cut through the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You say 'boil 'till the tannins are all out'. Other than darkening the water, what is the problem with the tannins?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

bettabreeder

I haven't researched into it that much but I just prefer a crystal clear tank versus a slightly tinted tank.

bizfromqc

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 18, 2012, 11:37:20 AM
You say 'boil 'till the tannins are all out'. Other than darkening the water, what is the problem with the tannins?

Tannins or tannic acid can lower the PH in your tank, something you may or may not want in your tank. Some species of SA dward cichlids thrive in a lower PH (acidic side) and sometimes people leave driftwood, bogwood, cococut, oak/almond leaves, alder cones, etc to leach in their tank. Result is lower PH and tinted water (black water i.e tea coloured)

At least, that's my understanding of it.

bettabreeder

I found this

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2296-Tannins-effects-on-fish-specific-acids

On top of tannins being potentially toxic you never know what chemicals the companies such as dole, del monte etc are applying to the coconuts to ensure travel from tropical regions to here. I've worked 4 years in a produce department and seen my fair share of rot on foods so just as a preventative measure I boil the coconut shells. Just my opinion though.

touchofsky

I bought the coconut about 10 years before I actually used it  ;D  I had planned on making a coconut shell cave, and then never got around to using it.  It sat in a basket on top of the fridge for 10 years.  By the time I cut it in half, all of the meat had dried out!  I guess I am admitting to being a procrastinator  ;D   

bizfromqc

Quote from: bettabreeder on February 18, 2012, 12:16:25 PM
I found this

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2296-Tannins-effects-on-fish-specific-acids

On top of tannins being potentially toxic you never know what chemicals the companies such as dole, del monte etc are applying to the coconuts to ensure travel from tropical regions to here. I've worked 4 years in a produce department and seen my fair share of rot on foods so just as a preventative measure I boil the coconut shells. Just my opinion though.

I boiled my huts about 5 times between 20 and 30 minutes each time. The fifth time, the water had the slightest tinge to it, but nothing to write home about. I'm pretty confident about having them in my tank now but you're right, I'd never just drop a coconut without having boiled it.

I do plan on eventually using alder cones and/or almond leaves when I try my hand at other apistos. Interesting info nonetheless.