Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Freshwater lights with actinic and lunar LEDs

Started by androo303, March 05, 2012, 09:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

Hey all, in a planted aquarium would running lights with actenic bulbs and lunar LEDs work in favor for the flora/fauna or is it just simply for looks?

daworldisblack

Quote from: androo303 on March 05, 2012, 09:19:51 PM
Hey all, in a planted aquarium would running lights with actenic bulbs and lunar LEDs work in favor for the flora/fauna or is it just simply for looks?

Some would say any light would grow plants but realistically those two are more for aesthetics. The lunar especially. The actinic would be too much blue but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Quote from: androo303 on March 05, 2012, 09:19:51 PMHey all, in a planted aquarium would running lights with actenic bulbs and lunar LEDs work in favor for the flora/fauna or is it just simply for looks?

From personal experience, and from being on other planted tank forums, actinic lights still provide usable light in a spectrum for plants and algae. They will help plants grow but they don't provide the other colours of the spectrum plants need such as the pinks and yellows, but they will work. If you're planning to run the lights at night, that's not advisable, you wouldn't be giving the plants the rest period they need, and may possibly be inviting algae. 
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

androo303

Alrighty then, I may just have to move my photo period from 9-5:30 to something like 2:00-10:00...

I dont want to purchase the LED lights if it is unadvisable.

exv152

Quote from: androo303 on March 06, 2012, 12:58:02 PM
Alrighty then, I may just have to move my photo period from 9-5:30 to something like 2:00-10:00...

I dont want to purchase the LED lights if it is unadvisable.

Moving your photo period is definitely your cheapest option. Besides hydro is cheaper 7pm to 7am, and you get to view your tanks more time in the evenings, if you work 9-5 like I do. All my tank timers run from 2-10pm 'ish. I have them on 2-10pm so I can also enjoy them on the weekends, otherwise I'd have them running like 4-12pm.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

Since I am home during the day, I have my lights on during the day when I usually work on, and enjoy my tanks.  I have the one in my bedroom on in the evening and it turns off just before I go to sleep. 

androo303

I definitely work 8-4, so I barely get home with enough time to enjoy the fruits of my labour. I am definitely going to slowly adjust my photo period to be from 2-10 (or something close to that). I have actually adjusted my photo period last night to go from 11-7, so I will move it 1 hr each week for the next 3 weeks.

daworldisblack

Mine comes on at 3.30 and shuts off at 11.30. Also has automatic feeder that comes on after lights-on - a smaller feeding - and then it goes on again just before lights off where i supplement with more flakes, or white worms/blood worms. That way I get to enjoy them more!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Quote from: androo303 on March 06, 2012, 02:00:54 PMI definitely work 8-4, so I barely get home with enough time to enjoy the fruits of my labour. I am definitely going to slowly adjust my photo period to be from 2-10 (or something close to that). I have actually adjusted my photo period last night to go from 11-7, so I will move it 1 hr each week for the next 3 weeks.

You can just adjust it to what you want right off the bat. Plants won't feel a thing if you change their photoperiod a couple of hours.  When they're shipping in the mail they go days without any light and still arrive alive.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

androo303

Quote from: exv152 on March 06, 2012, 08:05:23 PM
You can just adjust it to what you want right off the bat. Plants won't feel a thing if you change their photoperiod a couple of hours.  When they're shipping in the mail they go days without any light and still arrive alive.

Hmmm. Valid point. What about my fish, will it throw them through a loop?

exv152

Quote from: androo303 on March 06, 2012, 09:19:55 PMHmmm. Valid point. What about my fish, will it throw them through a loop?

I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. It's not like you're acclimating them to a new pH or a new tank.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g