Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Surface Skimmer

Started by androo303, May 03, 2012, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

Hey all,

I am starting to build up a little scum on the top of the water so I have been looking at getting a suction skimmer for my xp3 canister.

Does any have any experience with these units or have really decent looking DIY plans for one?

Andrew

charlie

Experience = great, i run 2 of them one each on my 79 & the 25
DIY =Not worth it, best to buy one from Big Al`s or La Niche.
Errol

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on May 03, 2012, 05:38:31 PM
Experience = great, i run 2 of them one each on my 79 & the 25
DIY =Not worth it, best to buy one from Big Al`s or La Niche.
Errol

+1 on the skimmer, gone mine from a local store and works great, crystal clear top.
They can be bought locally from 15-20$ and online from 10-15$, totally worth it.

Eric

Greatwhite

I had the Tom Surface Skimmer slightly mod'ed to fit on the intake of a Deltec MCE 600 skimmer and it was GREAT.  It is intended to plug into an intake of a canister filter, I'm sure.  It sucks from the top and bottom, and allows you to adjust how much it's pulling from the top to stop air from sucking in.

I think I paid $12 for mine at Big Als about 6 years ago.  not sure what they run for now, or if they even still carry them.

bizfromqc

Quote from: Greatwhite on May 04, 2012, 09:20:57 AM
I had the Tom Surface Skimmer slightly mod'ed to fit on the intake of a Deltec MCE 600 skimmer and it was GREAT.  It is intended to plug into an intake of a canister filter, I'm sure.  It sucks from the top and bottom, and allows you to adjust how much it's pulling from the top to stop air from sucking in.

I think I paid $12 for mine at Big Als about 6 years ago.  not sure what they run for now, or if they even still carry them.

Some of them (can't recall if it was the Hagen or Tom's one, they're all the same anyways) even come with an adapter that you can hook up to a HOB filter if that's what you're into  ;)

androo303

Very nice. I am glad that I can get the positive feedback needed to purchase one. I definitely have the scum/dog hair starting to show on the top of the water  :-[

eBay has them ranging from $8-$25
LFS has them ranging from $17+

Should I save the $9 and wait a month or go and purchase for the added cost.... I think if the fish have survived this long, they can wait another 30 days :P Plus that gives me time to get into my new place :P

daworldisblack

Quote from: androo303 on May 04, 2012, 04:03:38 PM
Very nice. I am glad that I can get the positive feedback needed to purchase one. I definitely have the scum/dog hair starting to show on the top of the water  :-[

eBay has them ranging from $8-$25
LFS has them ranging from $17+

Should I save the $9 and wait a month or go and purchase for the added cost.... I think if the fish have survived this long, they can wait another 30 days :P Plus that gives me time to get into my new place :P

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/surface-skimmer-p-2687.html

Eric says they are great with delivery too so there you go. Cheap and no long waits!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bizfromqc

Quote from: daworldisblack on May 04, 2012, 04:20:33 PM
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/surface-skimmer-p-2687.html

Eric says they are great with delivery too so there you go. Cheap and no long waits!

MOPS is definitely the way to go, that is if you can wait 24-48 hours  8)

Seriously, even picking the "normal delivery" option, I never waited more than 2 days to get a shipment. Customer service is also really good.

androo303

Right on, does ovas members get a discount?

bizfromqc

Not as far as I know, there was some talk about it once but nothing concrete, check out the sponsor's subforum for the history.

EB

androo303

Ya I purchased some small stuff as I needed it . Did a quick check and they do special purchasing days but it looks like nothing amounted to anything from it.

Sadly they are a sponsor of ovas and are getting free advertisement on their forum but not providing a service to us members... Just a rant, and I will shut up now.

JetJumper

Quote from: androo303 on May 05, 2012, 10:22:22 AM
Sadly they are a sponsor of ovas and are getting free advertisement on their forum but not providing a service to us members... Just a rant, and I will shut up now.

I don't think they get to be a sponsor for free here? I am pretty sure they have to pay money to be a sponsor.  I don't think a sponsor necessarily has to provide a discount.. its more an advertising / supporting the local club's core essence.  In a way they allow the club to have guest speakers come in from their "donation" to the club via sponsorship fees.

Thats how I look at it at least.

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Malyon18

Ya their sponsorship along with paying members are what keep the site up and running and pay for ovas events. Ovas also makes some money at the auctions and garage sale which also contributes to the upkeep of the club.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

androo303

Fair enough, my apologies. I didn't recognize the fact that they donated to OVAS through other means. Again, my apologies.