Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

GE Starcoat 6,500K T5 High Output HO Bulbs

Started by charlie, May 07, 2012, 07:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

I always wanted to try these bulbs after reading a test report that showed some very favorable stats against the Gieseman midday( I wish i could find that test report again) in some instances it did better than the Gieseman midday.
I was @ Ray`s Aquatic today & saw them so i picked up a 2 ft 24 watt to try, so far i`m impressed with the crisp white light it emits, looks like a winner for planted tank folks.
Errol

pm

Yeah, I have been running two of them on my tank (combined with one 10000K) since November, and they have been performing just fine for me   ;D

exv152

Not that long ago I read an interesting article, can't remember where, about european dutch planted folk using a combination of 3000k and 6500k temp colour bulbs with great success. I'm about to hook up my newly acquired 24" tek light and I'm wondering what bulbs to go with, or what combination to go with. Or does it even matter as long as we have the blue and red spectrums covered? I know the colour temp is really just an aesthetic thing as opposed to a requirement.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

I have tried different combos & can`t say i have seen any significant  growth difference form one to another, so i have resolved to the aesthetic aspect of the various combos.
I use mostly Gieseman Midday with the Gieseman Aquaflora, the midday has a slight yellow  & the aquaflora is mighty warm, i just tried the GE Starcoat 6500 K with the Aquaflora & love it.
Errol

daworldisblack

Price wise, how does it compare to the Midday?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

pm

I have no idea of prices in Ottawa, but I got my 39W ones from bulbscanada in Toronto (retail vs their online store) for like $9 each. 

exv152

Quote from: pm on May 08, 2012, 11:03:16 PMI have no idea of prices in Ottawa, but I got my 39W ones from bulbscanada in Toronto (retail vs their online store) for like $9 each.

Excellent tip, thanks!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g