New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

White film

Started by wolfiewill, May 31, 2012, 09:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

I have just set up a new tank with some wood, which, after a couple of days began to have a diaphanous, white, slippery film on the wood which eventually spread to areas of the substrate (Fluval substratum). I couldn't boil the wood 'cause the pieces were too big to fit into any pot. Initially I dropped the water level and brushed peroxide on the areas. I did this twice and it came back both times. I put in a couple of Platys and plants to see if there would be any health problems but they seem normal in all respects. The Platys can be seen to pick at it occasionally as well. I want to add the rest of the livestock  but am concerned.

Any thoughts? I've been doing this for years and never remember anything like it????
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

The stuff is wood fungus and it's harmless. I've had it on all driftwood I've ever used, beit mopani, redmoor, manzanita etc. It'll go away on its own.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on May 31, 2012, 10:12:06 AM
The stuff is wood fungus and it's harmless. I've had it on all driftwood I've ever used, beit mopani, redmoor, manzanita etc. It'll go away on its own.

Yeap.. or some fishes eat it. My Otos did at least.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bizfromqc

Quote from: daworldisblack on May 31, 2012, 11:09:06 AM
Yeap.. or some fishes eat it. My Otos did at least.

Quote from: exv152 on May 31, 2012, 10:12:06 AM

+3, took about a week or two in my case (or it was the plecs that took care of it when I added them).

Never came back since

Eric

wolfiewill

That's a relief! Thanks. G
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain