New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Open the traffic in general items!!!!!!!

Started by elk, April 01, 2012, 02:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchofsky

I first found OVAS through the online forum, and met one of the members by purchasing from the classifieds.  I then attended a meeting, and I have to say, that I am enjoying the forum so much more now that I have put faces onto the online names  :)

Greatwhite

At first I wasn't quite sure what this thread was about (although I'm sure it had been explained in the 2 full pages of responses)...

But I went to the general classifieds section and tried to post something and got a message telling me I had to be an OVAS member to post there, so I see what the complaint is.  Interestingly - I AM a paid member, even though my account doesn't show it. :(

I saw someone mention Kijiji...  I use Kijiji a lot to get rid of things.  I finally managed to see my 55G and light on Kijiji, for a little more than I was advertising it here for because I don't mind giving OVAS folks a deal.  I always post my aquarium related items here first, and then on Kijiji if it doesn't go.  I figure that it's easier to sell an aquarium and "obsolete" light fixture on Kijiji because people there wouldn't know as much as here. :)

So ya - give OVAS folks first crack at the deals!

ajm1961

The thread was originally about opening up the "For Sale - General Items" to non-members (i.e. those who do not have a paid membership in the club).
Non-members can still post their aquarium related items in the For Sale section of the classified.
As others have pointed out, there is no benefit to the club to having anyone simply register as a forum member just to sell their used (non-aquarium related) items. There are other sites designed for this. If people want to pay for this privilege on OVAS.CA, at least their donation helps fund club activities.
In my opinion, this is a sound policy.
Now let's all go back to sharing and discussing aquarium related topics, as this site was designed to do...  ;D
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Darth

Quote from: ajm1961 on April 03, 2012, 11:55:19 AM
The thread was originally about opening up the "For Sale - General Items" to non-members (i.e. those who do not have a paid membership in the club).
Non-members can still post their aquarium related items in the For Sale section of the classified.
As others have pointed out, there is no benefit to the club to having anyone simply register as a forum member just to sell their used (non-aquarium related) items. There are other sites designed for this. If people want to pay for this privilege on OVAS.CA, at least their donation helps fund club activities.
In my opinion, this is a sound policy.
Now let's all go back to sharing and discussing aquarium related topics, as this site was designed to do...  ;D

agreed

Greatwhite

Well - this IS the lounge, afterall. :)

Honestly, I think that ALL classifieds should be for members only, but that would really cut down the traffic in there.

Saltcreep

My fishkeeping buddy and I just downsized the fishroom from 13 running tanks to 1. He made all his sales on Kijjijji, basically because he found the OVAS system just too complicated. Netted over $700.00 in cash FWIW. We're both forum members and I'm a club member. I'll have him on board soon. :) :)

Greatwhite

Quote from: Saltcreep on May 16, 2012, 10:26:44 AM
My fishkeeping buddy and I just downsized the fishroom from 13 running tanks to 1. He made all his sales on Kijjijji, basically because he found the OVAS system just too complicated. Netted over $700.00 in cash FWIW. We're both forum members and I'm a club member. I'll have him on board soon. :) :)

Selling stuff on Kijiji is generally "easier" because people here already have tanks - and people looking on Kijiji usually don't.  I sold my 55g and light on Kijiji in about 2 days after having had them listed here for a few months.  (who wants a 55g un-drillable, and power compact light fixture??? not someone who knows anything about them, that's for sure!) 

Saltcreep

Why doesn't EVERYBODY just dig down for a Club Membership - Single or Family. Radical, I know! No more disputes and silly threads. Come on - Flame On!

brotherluv

Am I breaking the rules by adding fish related items for sale since I haven't paid for a membership?

JetJumper

No no, they are refering the the general posting of non-fishy related items.  you are fine.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.