Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ocean Driftwood

Started by Mettle, October 30, 2005, 01:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

If collecting driftwood from the ocean should one go through similar steps of sterilizing in order to make it fish tank safe? I figured a lot of the salt water parasites would be written off, anyway, simply because of them not being able to survive in fresh. Also, how does one get the salt out of the wood? Soak soak soak?

As an aside. In terms of wood collected from fresh water lakes/rivers. Are there any safe places to do that in or around Ottawa? I'm always so afraid of pollution.

Thanks.

Nerine

hmm I dont know!! I would assume getting the salt out would just be a really good cleanning, but on the note of collecting wood from here...have no clue!!! good luck though :) and let us know if you find a place!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

zapisto

you will never remove all the salt completly
but sometime can be good to have a flavour of salt time to time. :)

yellowtang

I have couple of northern BC drift wood.......right from
Prince Rupert.....right out off the ocean........if you let them soak for weeks with a very small amount of bleach and frequent water changes the salanity would dissolve.......
I did that and it worked.......
lol
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

PaleoFishGirl

Nice driftwood in and around Picton (Sandbanks and other beaches in more private areas) but I don't know how safe wood from Lake Ontario is for your tank.

Mettle

Quote from: "PaleoFishGirl"but I don't know how safe wood from Lake Ontario is for your tank.

I'd never take anything from any of those lakes, heh.

Not worth the risk.

jgolden

:wink: When are you planning a porage vacation up in the Algonquin parks? Theres plenty of isolated - and CLEAN, in comparison - lakes that are accessible only by canoe. I'm likely planning one, but not until June / July... Don't think you would like to wait that long...

Mettle

If I can't drive there chances are I'm not going. LOL.