Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

marineland hidden LED

Started by tophoo, July 06, 2012, 11:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tophoo

Has anyone heard of these? Iwonder if it will give me the shimmer affect when I use it with my t5s.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-LED-Lighting/I/Hidden-LED-Lighting-System.aspx

bizfromqc

Don't know if they're bright enough for the shimmer but I'd recommend paying a bit more money and getting the ML DB system.

tophoo

It's to go with my 4x24w t5 lights

blueknight0303

check how much lumens they produce! i have 1 17"and its way brighter than my normal flourescent and marineland LED double lighting system. its submersible too!

bizfromqc

Quote from: blueknight0303 on July 13, 2012, 12:17:30 AM
check how much lumens they produce! i have 1 17"and its way brighter than my normal fluorescent and marineland LED double lighting system. its submersible too!

I'd like to know where you are getting your numbers. Strictly looking at lumens, the ML DB system outputs substantially more lumens than the ML Hidden LED system.

The lengths don't really match up exactly but if we look at the closest lengths:

ML Hidden LED 17" --> 300 lumens
ML DB 18" --> 450 lumens

ML Hidden LED 21" --> 350 lumens
ML DB 24" --> 600 lumens

Clearly the ML DB output is greater than the ML Hidden LED system. That being said, I think they serve different purposes. If you're looking for a submersible fixture the choice is clear. On the other hand, if you're looking for a top-of-tank fixture with a greater output, the ML DB is the way to go (but more expensive).

Eric

tophoo

It says that it is 350 lumens. Is this good?

bizfromqc

I think it really depends on what you want to use it for.

Technically speaking 350 lumens is not a whole lot of light when you compare it to the output of your 4x24W t5ho fixture. You'd have to check the specs on your bulbs but you'll most likely find that it's probably around 2000 lumens per 24W bulb.

I'm no lighting expert, maybe the lux/lumens/par gurus on here can chime in and enlighten (no pun intended.. ok it was intended) you.

Personally, I would think that Hidden LED system is meant to be used for esthetic purposes only and not for growing anything...

Eric

tophoo

Yeah, I kinda want a little extra light and te shimmer effect. Still wondering if the ml hidden led will do this