Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

30g fish ideas anyone?

Started by Feivel, September 23, 2012, 05:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feivel

so i have a 30g complete for freshwater sitting in the storage and my daughter wants a tank in her room. i remember when i was her age we had a 30g in my room with a bunch of goldfish. needless to say i hate goldfish :)

now im having a debate on what to stock the tank with. i like the swords and have had plenty along with some angels guppies and tetras. their cool (reproductively) but they dont really fancy me anymore. i love the red arowana but their illegal and cost 2000$ ..... discus are pretty and expensive and as much maintenance as my salt tank.

so im looking for something out of the ordinary. something not everyone has. and not something that can creep up to me in my bed and bite my toes (snakehead) lol. im definately thinking if i dont find anything extravagant i will most likely get a dozen cychlids, i love the character of them or a pair of oscars or maybee a green terror. i love how agressive they are.

any suggestions?
cheers

Brine

charlie

Quote from: Feivel on September 23, 2012, 05:26:45 PM
so i have a 30g complete for freshwater sitting in the storage and my daughter wants a tank in her room. i remember when i was her age we had a 30g in my room with a bunch of goldfish. needless to say i hate goldfish :)

now im having a debate on what to stock the tank with. i like the swords and have had plenty along with some angels guppies and tetras. their cool (reproductively) but they dont really fancy me anymore. i love the red arowana but their illegal and cost 2000$ ..... discus are pretty and expensive and as much maintenance as my salt tank.

so im looking for something out of the ordinary. something not everyone has. and not something that can creep up to me in my bed and bite my toes (snakehead) lol. im definately thinking if i dont find anything extravagant i will most likely get a dozen cychlids, i love the character of them or a pair of oscars or maybee a green terror. i love how agressive they are.

any suggestions?
cheers
hm mm did you say 30 gallon or 300 gallon  ;)
have a look at some dwarf cichlids

bitterman

I'd think about some Afra's, yellow labs and maybe so lithos (Afra's or lithos could be rare varients?). Should be an exciting and active tank for a kid with a lot of colour. Also the are somewhat less aggressive so if watched should be ok Ideally I like 1M and 3F of the afras and labs, lithos most likely need a trio max. You could also have so Bn's to help keep it clean. But you would need a bunch of frequent water changes once they get older if you started with fry.

Dean a friend had basically the same tank only taller used a 40 tall. It was a nice tank and he kept the setup for years.

Bruce

sas

Cherry barbs are great, easy to find among our local breeders, school nicely if you pair them with a larger fish.
Another option might be Celestial Pearl Danio, and then a nice big school of corys, maybe one of the dwarf types.
Keep in mind your tank is only a 30g.
Another option is to plant it heavily and stock it with a nice group of mosquito rasboro.
Oh my the options are endless.
Oh then there are the dwarf crayfish,specifically the orange,
can't get enough of these guys, entertaining, comical and hardy.