Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plant Contest - Let the flaming begin!

Started by BigDaddy, October 25, 2005, 12:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgolden

lol I lost 2 of 5 leaves in the 1st day; As of this morning, 2 of the remaining leaves are reaching for the top of the 10G (they're about 3 inches from the surface... Guess I'd better hurry and get 'em in a deeper tank, or risk disqualification!!!) Oh, and I think I saw 1 new shoot starting to break through the substrate this AM.

darkdep

WTH?  Your crypt has grown that much?  Wow.

jgolden

but it's long and stringy... i gotta figure out how to get it to fill out

mseguin

Needs more light, when a plant grows tall quickly its usually becuz its trying to get closer to the light. With plenty of light it will flesh out.

darkdep

What do you have for light at the moment Jeff?

Evan

don't the leaves on Crypts melt away and then regrow to suit their new lighting conditions?  If the lighting was different than there last home.

Everyone I have had lost leaves at the start and then regrew them quite fast.

Shouganai

Its weird - I've got about 3 types of crypts now, maybe 4.. and I've never had one rot on me, in either of my tanks.

darkdep

Mine started melting yesterday...I had it sitting in a tank with virtually no light for about 5 days, and it didn't melt at all.  Then as soon as the light came on, melt-away she did...

jgolden

Chris, the 10G has ~ 2.5 wpg on it, using a combination of a 13w spiral daylight bulb, and a 15w 18" T8 daylight bulb (:wink: hence the ~)...

BigDaddy

That would be a low light tank.

The WPG rule breaks down on 10 gallons, and using spirals instead of linears does too.

I have a 36 watt linear compact fluorescent over my 10 gallon... and it acts and behaves like a medium light tank (no CO2 required... weekly instead of daily ferts.... etc)

darkdep

BD: I just put 4 20w T12's over one of my 30gal...Would that be considered low or medium light?

How does one get "high light" over a 10g?

BigDaddy

Quote from: "darkdep"BD: I just put 4 20w T12's over one of my 30gal...Would that be considered low or medium light?

How does one get "high light" over a 10g?

That's a nice medium light tank.

And the high light 10s I've seen have had around 70 watts over 'em if memory serves.

PaleoFishGirl

Update - I finally have some new growth!  Also, the texture of these leaves is amazing!

mseguin

squeeker

darkdep

Me too!  First new leaf is popping out now!  (thank you Co2!)