Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What are the most timid community like /non aggr. Cichlids

Started by TBarb, November 04, 2005, 02:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBarb

I was wondering what cichlids stay small, can tolerate others, are nice looking and aren't that aggressive to others? I've heard of 'parrot' cichlid and 'dwarf' cichlids.

Or is there no such thing as unagressive cichlids?

BigDaddy

Quote from: "TBarb"Or is there no such thing as unagressive cichlids?

Well... its all relative.  When spawning, they all get a little aggressive.  Some are aggressive with only similar species, others, with any other tank mates.

That being said, rams (german blue and bolician) are generally good community cichlids.  Angels and Discus too.... Keyholes would fall in that category as well.

Apistos, depends on the type.  I had panduros, aggies, borellii and cacs in community tanks with no issues.  They would get snotty when breeding.. but no deaths.

L curviceps is another dwarf cichlid that does well in the community.  For that matter, I'd say that applies to all the laetacara sp., although I haven't kept 'em so can't apply personal experience to that one.

TBarb

mseguin

What size tank are you talking about?
For example kribs get agressive when breeding, so in a 20 gal it could get ugly. but in a 30+ it shouldn't be a problem. Even the 20 isn't usually a problem if there's plenty of hiding space.

CdnRednek

Parrot cichlids may be docile, and somewhat cute(only due to being funny looking) they can also be hybreds that are harder to care for and less likely to live long.  Blood parrots are a prime example.  I bought them on an impulse, brought them home, then I started researching more about them.  After about a week, they died, while everyone in the tank, new and old survived quite well.  They don't go by normal cichlid water standards.

gvv

From my point of view - rams are the most peaceful. Apistos, maybe except cacs can be nasty like kribs, even when they are not breeding.
Everything depends on the fish you have in the tank and size of tank.
Regards

Mettle

Parrots can actually be quite nasty.

Remember... They have midas in them. A nasty fish.