Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dither fish suggestions..?

Started by manytanks, November 04, 2005, 07:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manytanks

The tank is a 55 gallon planted; inhabitants include some corys, SAEs, about 30 male Enders and 18 neon tetras. The tetras are so much at home that they feel no need to school at all - they just wander around all over and are getting fat and lazy. I'm of a mind that it would be nice to see them school.

What does everyone recommend as a dither fish that will spook the neons just a bit, but won't snack on the Endlers?

NjOyRiD

an OSCAR :) haha just kiddin!
My opinion would be bleeding heart Tetras, I just love them!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

aidensmomma2000

Julie

How about some boisterous clown loaches to liven everybody up?
I like the rams, but they might eat the endlers.

Julie

mseguin

It's gonna be hard to find afish that will threaten them without actually being a threat to them. The other thing is that captive bred fish (neons being one extensively bred species) tend to lose wild behaviours over generations.
Anwyay, I would suggest soem rainbows, very active, fairly large but not too dangerous usually.

Mettle

I'd suggest the dwarf neon rainbows if going that route. But that's just me personally.

Clown loaches aren't a bad idea, but may pick off some of the baby endlers.

I really couldn't come up with anything good in terms of suggestions other than different types of tetras or dwarf cichlids... Maybe look into a larger bodied tetra?

luvfishies

How about a couple of angelfish  :twisted:

mseguin

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Julie"How about some boisterous clown loaches to liven everybody up?
I like the rams, but they might eat the endlers.

Julie

Rams won't eat Endlers.

And I agree with mseguin's assessment.  I have almost 2 dozen cardinals in my community tank with angels, keyholes.... For the first month or three they all schooled together.  Now, they are more spread out.  I think the refuge of the plants is another reason they aren't as tight together too.

It's funny, I usually consider the neons the dithers...