Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Princess Auto Gadgets

Started by Nelson, November 15, 2005, 06:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelson

They have water level alarms on sale for $2.99.  They're meant to be installed in Xmas tree stands.  When the water level falls and the electrodes are exposed, the alarm goes off (Jingle Bells etc.).  Works in aquariums as well although the alarm isn't very loud and of course you have to be home to hear it.  I bought four and plan to modify them for improved aquarium use.

They also have a new product that hasn't arrived in the stores yet.  A power bar with a built in timer.  Four timed outlets and four untimed.  Price is $14.00 and should be stocked in a week or so.

Mettle

That power bar sounds nifty.

Where's this store located?

Nelson

Quote from: "Mettle"That power bar sounds nifty.

Where's this store located?

St Laurent Blvd south - I have a couple that I picked up at Zellers some time ago but they were over $20.  They're great to have.

charlie

It actualy becomes Hawthorne road, here is the address do a mapquest for directions, great store. princessauto.com

Princess Auto  OTTAWA  
1301 Ages Drive
at Hawthorne Rd
K1G 6N9
Ph: (613) 247-1651
Fax: (613) 247-1657

Mon to Fri: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sunday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Nelson

Right you are Charlie.  It's one of the most interesting stores I've ever been in.  To make the experience even more enjoyable, they almost give their stuff away :lol:

darkdep

Princess Auto is a handyman's dream store.  My brother in law works in the one in Halifax.  It's great!  You'd think by the name it was all car stuff, but they buy lots of surplus tools and equipment from all over and sell it for very low prices.

Those power bars...are the 4 outlets on the same timer?  

Also, keep us posted on your experiments with those water alarms...I could have used one a few months ago and would love to use them.

Nelson

Yes, four outlets are controlled simultaneously by the timer.  The other four are independent.

artw

...my low water alarm was the filter when it's intake became out of the water and it was airlocked,   wooosh wooosh woosh,  hey art, fill up the tank!!

Nelson

Quote from: "artw"...my low water alarm was the filter when it's intake became out of the water and it was airlocked,   wooosh wooosh woosh,  hey art, fill up the tank!!

Oh, Art-Art-Art...everyone has that basic built-in alarm.  Being a high tech keener, I'd like something that flashes the lights on and off in the house, or possibly activates the microwave beeper, or maybe a signal receiving collar around the cat's neck.  Come to think of it, my smoke detectors are pretty loud :D

mseguin

I like thei dea of the timed power bar, my current setup isnt exactly what you'd call safe

darkdep

Quote from: "mseguin"I like thei dea of the timed power bar, my current setup isnt exactly what you'd call safe

New Contest idea:  Pictures of the most rediculous power setup.  Winner gets a new power bar :)

mseguin

Do you get bonus points if its on fire?

darkdep

That would be cheating...and would be akin to growing your plants emersed in the plant contest.

The goal is to get as close as possible to fire, without fire.

mseguin

Interesting. I would be strong contender so far.

luvfishies

Hmmmm.....I might just have to snap some pictures of the wires behind the tanks, and puter.

*shudder*

Scary thought, that!