Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Phosban reactor

Started by Mike62, September 15, 2012, 12:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike62

I know that in most cases, GFO is the normal media used in a phosban, but I am wondering if you can use other media, if you dont have a phosphate issue in your tank. Would it be possible to use carbon in there, or perhaps Seachem Purigen, provided you have good enough sponges to make sure they dont get into the tank. Is is possible, or advisable to have more than one type of media in the reactor, or would it be a better idea to have a second reactor holding that media.
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Feivel

the idea behind a reactor is to have flow around specified media. you have to know not to tumble carbon or have enough flow to mix up bio pellets. havent experienced with purigen but i can ask a question for you :)

GFO is good to run in the tank. you can put as much or as little media in it it doesnt matter as long as you change it out every 2 month or when you get a .2ppm reading (starting to see traces)

bio pellets you want to add slowly. IE 50ml a week or two until dosing is reached. helps a lot with cyano and alements. it attacks the nitrates :) it essentially gives a home to the bacteria to grow

whats your exp in saltwater?
Whats your tank size/set-up
what type/size of gfo reactor you have?
Do you use a ro/di system? <---- tap water has phosphates, not the best thing for a reef :)

cheers hope this helps

ray

Re:Media Reactors

!) By using media reactors you utilize the media more fully by forcing the water through and exposing all surfaces of the media to water,different medias may require different flow rates

2) Medias expire and absorb at different rates,also messy when trying to remove one from on top of another,so multiple reactors is better choice.Also some medias will rerelease what they have absorbed after a certain amount of time,while others may ;last months

Hope this helps abit