Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

high density foam: how much will they go down by?

Started by HimSelf, August 27, 2012, 10:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HimSelf

Hi everyone,

I am setting up a 90gal tall tank and I have one inch high density foam on the bottom of my stand to level it and also another one inch high density foam between the stand and the tank also for leveling.

Question: over time how much would the foam go down?

Thanks

dpatte

foam under the stand? I'm not so sure that's a good idea. You really want a firm base for your stand. I use softwood shims under the legs for leveling. Between the tank and the stand, I only use 1/8 foam, not 1"

Foam is not used for leveling a complete stand, but for taking out minor bumps from a surface, like at the top of a stand.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

Feivel

+1 the foam is just to absorb any pinpoint pressures from the 1200lbs weight that will be sitting on it. I used kids play mats (red blue green yellow that lock together) only mine were black and 2" pink panther i.sulation styrofoam .... It was a scrap fron the construction site. I have not noticed this foam settle. Althpught thebone o. The floor are pretty flat. The tank did wobble a bit before she sat properly. Cant remember why i used the foam underneaty but it must have been a good thought when i did it. O think my stand was just so ever slightly off level and thought maybee the foam would quish and take away from this minor uneveness. Besides if i make a mess it sits on top of the foam and doesnt absorb much in my apt's floating floor.

lucius

I use foam between my tank and stand.  It's to absorb some of the sound coming from the concrete floor underneath.  I use to use my wavemaster (punching bag that sits on the ground) alot and didn't want spook the fish from it banging/moving on the ground.

Roland

1" foam will work if the surface of the stand is not perfectly flat or out of kilter by more than 1/8". But I think that is too thick.
I made a stand once for a 35 gall breeder tank with out a surface just a boarder of 1x2 oak and it failed. The tank bottom cracked. Being a little older and a little wiser any stands I've made since use 3/4" plywood as a a surface. Shim the legs for an uneven floor.
The last one I made is a stand for a 120 gal long and I used 3/4 plywood and a piece of dirty old scrap berber carpet between the stand surface and tank.

charlie

Check out this thread, especially reply #3 by Babblefish, it may not help with your original question but gives you a better explanation of why we use foam under tanks.
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=22639.msg157043#msg157043
Regards

dpatte

I always use foam between the stand and the tank, but I would never use foam UNDER the stand, as was suggested in the original post.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.

zoom111

If it's a store bought tank with the black rim, no need for foam. Leveling the stand is for aesthetics purposes so your eye isn't drawn to the uneven water line.

zoom111

Quote from: lucius on August 27, 2012, 04:29:14 PM
I use foam between my tank and stand.  It's to absorb some of the sound coming from the concrete floor underneath.  I use to use my wavemaster (punching bag that sits on the ground) alot and didn't want spook the fish from it banging/moving on the ground.

MY brother has a drum set about 20' away from both my tanks (1 FW, 1 SW). I was skeptical at first the bass might spook the fish. I watched closely when he first got it and the fish did not seem to be bothered whatsoever.

dpatte

Its a lot more than asthetics. An un-level stand will cause an unlevel tank, which will stress the tank and the stand, maybe to failure. The larger the tank, the more important it is to level the stand.

You are correct, though, that on a level stand, its usually not required to add foam between the stand and the tank. Some stands though, even if level, are not even enough where they support the tank, and may need foam.
Quote from: zoom111 on August 31, 2012, 01:33:51 PM
Leveling the stand is for aesthetics purposes so your eye isn't drawn to the uneven water line.

zoom111

Quote from: dpatte on August 31, 2012, 02:01:37 PM
Its a lot more than asthetics. An un-level stand will cause an unlevel tank, which will stress the tank and the stand, maybe to failure. The larger the tank, the more important it is to level the stand.

I think it depends; if one corner is lower than the other 3 than yea this could cause issues, but if 2 corners are off by the same amount then it should be ok. Of course the corners must be beside each other and not opposite ends.

If the tank is un-level it can only fill up to the lowest point, but to a certain extend it has to be level enough for the tank not to slide off the stand.

This is assuming the stand is perfectly structural and the top surface is nice and flat.

HimSelf

I'm taking the foam out from the bottom of the tank and going to level it as others have suggested here on the form. I am still going to leave the foam between the tank and the stand.

I just bought about 100lb of top soil and in the process of turning them into pond soil. Wish me luck :)