Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

squeeker, RoxyDog, and goldfish4ever

Started by luvfishies, October 22, 2005, 10:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvfishies

Hey, ladies, how are all the new arrivals doing?

Don't mind me, I'm a worrywart about the babies I send out, as I've watched them in my tanks for hours before they go to their new homes!

squeek and Roxy, did you find homes for the Marisas?

squeeker

Hey Luvfishies!

The snailiens are doing quite well!  I've got them in my 10 gallon until they grow up some.  Most of them will probably end up staying there.  I'll have to get some pics for ya!

The marisas are still at my place, in my unplanted hospital tank.  They'll be fine there, as I don't have any plans to take it down any time soon!

RoxyDog

Hi  :)  All my adorable snails are doing great.  They're hanging out in my 10gal b/c the main tank is being medicated.  I love them...if you ask my husband I'm sure he would say "obsessed".  :)  But hey, what does he know?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

luvfishies

Awwww, I'm so glad they're doing well for you guys! LOL Roxy, I know, I can spend hours watching them play in the water. People look at me like I'm nuts when I start yakking about my "snailiens".

Squeeker, pics would be great! *no pressure, though*

goldfish4ever

Awww Luvs - I love them soooo much!!!! I talk about them just as much as my fishys now. Tommorow they will be moving into a 25 gallon tank with my betta (betta is not going to know what to do with himself with all that space lol). I figured I had better move them sooner then later because 4 of the 7 are getting really really big really really quickly - like we are talking the size of those big marbles now. The other 3 are still pretty much the same size as when they came.

What would cause those 4 guys to get so big quick, and not the others?? Males vs Females mabey??

I named them all too lol. Blue and Magenta (my kids named those after their favorite tv show), Pearl, Butterscotch, Carmey, OliveOil, and Snaily.  8)

Pamelajo

I don't know whether luvs told you they come with a warning.  "More addictive than fish". LOL :lol:

luvfishies said:
"People look at me like I'm nuts when I start yakking about my "snailiens". "

Hey luvs I know that look. :roll:

luvfishies

Quote from: "goldfish4ever".

What would cause those 4 guys to get so big quick, and not the others?? Males vs Females mabey??

I named them all too lol. Blue and Magenta (my kids named those after their favorite tv show), Pearl, Butterscotch, Carmey, OliveOil, and Snaily.  8)

Hmmmm, could be that those juvies were from a couple of different clutches/hatches that were sent to me. So although they were all approximately the same size, they may not have been the same age. They were in with about 50 others in a 33g, so going to your "more space" tank could have kickstarted a growth spurt. I honestly doubt it's male vs female at this stage.

I love the names! I'm so glad you're enjoying them, and a 25 with a betta sounds like a great home for them. Have you started handling them yet?

Pamela, is the look you get kinda like Homer when he gets all glassy and drooly and says "beeeeeeeeer"? LOL that's kinda what people look at me like. They just glass over ;)

squeeker

Hi Luvfishies!

Here's a pic of the snailies chowing down on some grub.  I like to take them out of the tank when vacuuming just in case I crush one, so they get a chance to see each other.  This was taken yesterday.

Nelson

Now folks....this is not a critisism by any stretch.  It wasn't that many years ago that I thought people who kept fish in a tank of water rather than in a pan of butter were a little off!

But when I hear about naming them, watching them play, liking them better than fish, referring to them as adorable...I have to ask myself....WHAT'S UP WITH SNAILS :lol:

BTW...I'm experiencing an epidemic of MTS growth in my tanks and can't give them away or flush them them fast enough, so if any of you snail fanciers want more snails, then let me know.

Marc

Quote from: "Nelson"BTW...I'm experiencing an epidemic of MTS growth in my tanks and can't give them away or flush them them fast enough, so if any of you snail fanciers want more snails, then let me know.

Bring some to the next meeting.  They always sell at the mini-auctions.  You won't get a lot for them but people will be pleased to get them. :)

Nelson

Quote from: "Marc"
Quote from: "Nelson"BTW...I'm experiencing an epidemic of MTS growth in my tanks and can't give them away or flush them them fast enough, so if any of you snail fanciers want more snails, then let me know.

Bring some to the next meeting.  They always sell at the mini-auctions.  You won't get a lot for them but people will be pleased to get them. :)

I will Marc, but wouldn't think of taking money for them.

Pamelajo

Nelson,
The snails squeeker has are a bit different than MTS.  You can control the population and you can handle them. Once they get used to you they will come out of their shells and crawl around on your hand.  Some like to ride the air bubbles from airstones, I have one that does regularly sometimes 3 times in row.  Some also like to parachute off the sides of the tank.  The brigs come in many beautiful colours.   Canas can get as big as a peach.  I have kept fish for years and thought the same way you did until I started reading more about them.  I now have 5 kinds and less fish than snails.  Get your self one and you will understand the obsession.
Six of my coworkers saw some of mine and now have snails in their fish tanks too.

Nelson

Quote from: "Pamelajo"Nelson,
Once they get used to you they will come out of their shells and crawl around on your hand.

Thanks for the insight Pamelajo, they sound very interesting - I may just give them a try.  Having said that, I can assure you that the only shelless snail that might find its way to my hand would be covered in garlic butter :lol:

Pamelajo

OK Let me rephrase that,
The will open up for you. :lol:
No eating the pets :!:    Applesnails do not make good escargot :!:
I do have some garden snails that would be better for escargot, did you want me to send you some?  :lol: