Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS PAR Meter

Started by Jimbo, May 08, 2012, 09:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

Quote from: exv152 on August 22, 2012, 08:44:33 AM... the club doesn't have to lend or rent the meter if it's too large of a liability. The club could have one designated person who knows how to operate the meter, and volunteer to bring it to meetings where club members could bring their lighting systems to be measured. That way it doesn't run the risk of being lost, damaged or stolen.

I mentioned this earlier and it seems to have been completely overlooked in the discussion. Other clubs in the US do this, but if it's not feasible because of the cost of purchasing it, then I would understand. That said, I'm glad a sponsor has stepped up. Lighting is such a key element in the hobby and it tends to be often overlooked.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Jimbo

Quote from: exv152 on September 27, 2012, 06:08:00 PM
I mentioned this earlier and it seems to have been completely overlooked in the discussion. Other clubs in the US do this, but if it's not feasible because of the cost of purchasing it, then I would understand. That said, I'm glad a sponsor has stepped up. Lighting is such a key element in the hobby and it tends to be often overlooked.

I agree with you completely about cost, but the Apogee light meter only costs $150.

Whatever happened to the poll of forum users asked by Stussi613, if they would become members if OVAS purchased a Par meter? Was there not enough interest shown by potential new members to cover the cost?

charlie

Quote from: Jimbo on September 27, 2012, 06:37:48 PM
I agree with you completely about cost, but the Apogee light meter only costs $150.

Whatever happened to the poll of forum users asked by Stussi613, if they would become members if OVAS purchased a Par meter? Was there not enough interest shown by potential new members to cover the cost?
I surrender
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/apogee-mq-200-par-meter
http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captive_aquatics/2010/08/apogee-mq-200-quantum-par-meter-video-review.html

JetJumper

Quote from: Jimbo on September 27, 2012, 06:37:48 PM

No Jimbo.. its not only $150.  The sensor is $150 if you order it by itself I do believe.  The Kit can be had for $300-350 for an Apogee.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

JetJumper

There is a $200 par meter.. Its integrated into a monitoring system..

http://www.seneye.com/

You can also get the raw sensor and create your own PAR meter with a multimeter.  There is a simple calculation if I recall correctly that you can do to convert the multimeters output from the resistence levels on the photo sensor and calculate PAR yourself :)  Probably possible for under $50 including a multimeter 

If you are feeling up to the task :)  Then you can make some cash renting it out to people in the club.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Jimbo

My bad. ;) Thanks for the correction.

76brian

I like the DIY meter posted in another thread. I'm going to make one. It could be a good club project?

exv152

If you take a lux reading and divide the value by 76 that gives you fairly accurate PAR value.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Jimbo

Quote from: 76brian on September 27, 2012, 09:07:56 PM
I like the DIY meter posted in another thread. I'm going to make one. It could be a good club project?

I agree. We should either get this added as one of the presentations, or set up a separate meeting (outside OVAS) for people interested in learning how to make their own Par meter.