Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Tank Itch - Where to Buy Big Tanks?

Started by lucius, September 27, 2012, 06:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucius

So my itch is getting worse and worse since the meeting.  :)

Besides Big Al's, is there another place I can buy a large tank and stand and have them delivered?  I'm looking for at least a 90 gallon.

Edit - Do you think I can get a 125 gallon down my basement stairs?  

TIA.

Dakotamay

I'd suggest talking to Jim of Forty Fathoms. Yes, he's in Gan but is in Ottawa to pick up orders at the airport quite often. He might have something in the price range you're looking for. His email is . Hope that helps.

exv152

Quote from: lucius on September 27, 2012, 06:20:00 PM
...Edit - Do you think I can get a 125 gallon down my basement stairs?...

When I bought my 125 I had no issues bringing down narrow stairs to the basement. Reason being the tank dimensions are 72x 18x 22 and can be stood on end easily and only weighs 160 lbs empty.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

lucius

Quote from: exv152 on September 27, 2012, 10:17:56 PM
When I bought my 125 I had no issues bringing down narrow stairs to the basement. Reason being the tank dimensions are 72x 18x 22 and can be stood on end easily and only weighs 160 lbs empty.

Where did you get your 125?

Greatwhite

Definitely go vertical around the corners, and take it SLOW.  72" is 6 feet.. I'm 6 feet.. I can fit down basement stairs pretty comfortably, but have never attempted to go down them horizontally myself (although I once was close, carrying a box of IKEA shelf down).

Pretty much any fish shop in town can get you a 125.  I'd recommend one that will help you out and drill it before delivery... Like Fish Tail, for example - but I'm sure any one would.  Now is the time to get in good with the owners so that they know your name when you walk in the door.  If you buy a tank & complete setup at a store, you're bound to be remembered. ;)

lucius

Thank you for all the responses both on here and via PM.  8)

I've decided to go back to my initial plan of getting a four foot wide tank.  The section of wall (in the basement) I will be placing it is about 11 feet long so I'm already thinking about getting a second tank now.  :P

exv152

Quote from: lucius on September 27, 2012, 10:28:52 PM
Where did you get your 125?

Big Al's, and I got it on sale, so it was a good deal. On an eleven foot long wall you can fit a 90g and a 125 side by side.
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

lucius

I was thinking about leaving a foot on each side just in case I needed to get at the back of them if needed.  So two, four feet tanks plus a foot on each side works out to 11 feet.

All though I admit, I did look at the 125 gallon kits this past weekend as well. 

I took down some pricing and a 125 gallon at Big Al's is currently $289.99.  Back in 2004, it was $399.99.  Yes, I've been waiting this long for a big tank.  :-[  The 125 kit is the exact same price but I don't recall if it was the same exact kit as 2004. 

The Aquaclear 500 (2004) was $74.99 and the equivalent Aquaclear 110 is $89.99.

sas

If you can wait Big Als usually has some great sales on big tanks just after Christmas.

lucius

Thanks for the info but Christmas is coming later this week for me!  ;)