Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting Brand Recommendations Please

Started by ccra18, September 25, 2012, 06:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccra18

Hi everyone,

6 months ago I started my first Reef tank. Its a standard 75 gallon. I didn't buy the best light fixture but its doing a good job. After two months of starting it the entire back of the tank was full of Coraline algae and the corals are doing great. However, given that it was a cheap fixture it also came with cheap bulbs and one of the tubes is already 50% dimmer than the other. ( I have 4 bulbs, two 10,000k and two regular actinic). That said, I need to start replacing them. I will replace one by one but given that the actinic is the one that is dimming I will start with that.

Is there any bulb brand that you recommend that is available here in Ottawa?

After some research I've decided to stick to two 10,000k and one purple actinic and one blue actinic. However, I don't know much about brands.. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christian

fish

ATI and Geissmann are both popular and widely available. On RC a pretty common configuration (in ATI lingo) is 2 Blue Plus, one Purple plus and one Aquablue Special or the new Coral. I don't know the equivalent in Geissmann. Also, again on RC actinic is considered a waste because of relatively lower PAR FWIW.

az

yes def 2 blue 1 white 1 purple, for giesemann its called actinic+(blue) pureactinic(purple) and aquablue(14k white).
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

ccra18

Thanks for the info guys!! I'll take your recommendations.

Thanks!