Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Heated Tank Outside in Winter

Started by dpatte, November 07, 2005, 01:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyman

I am instaing a 25' pond right now. Hope to god to have it done today actualy. It is only 2.5' deep at the center so its too shallow as far as im concerned, but the customer asked for it to remain open all year round so we included a heater. I also have a customer with a deeper pond that we stocked with koi. We got a heater in for her aswell.

Most of our pond stuff comes from Aquascape. They have a good website and you might find a decent heater there. I would suggest a rigid pond liner or tub for this ratherr than a tank for a couplle of reasons. One being sitting outside on the ground you have the possibillity of it freezing to the ground.

Good luck.

Mettle

Quote from: "PaleoFishGirl"A friend who owned a 'rare fish' store in Edmonton, AB built a pond outside that he didn't need to heat.  He built it right next to his front steps in a triangular shape, so that 2 of the 3 'walls' of the pond were actually the walls of the house.  Even during an Edmonton winter, the pond never froze solid - he just broke the ice off of the top in the morning.  Had goldfish in there all year round.  The heat from his house kept the water warm enough that only a small bit froze on top.

I would be worried about the potential damage this could cause to the foundation or basement of the house if anything went wrong.

kennyman

I had to check today to make sure, but the heaters I am using are a 1250W floating disc retailing around $100 . Rated for up to 600g ;)