Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

10gal-betta, germans, neons.

Started by Jim, November 09, 2005, 03:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

would just strait gravle with nothing else be ok?

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Jim"would just strait gravle with nothing else be ok?

Yup... a grade that isn't too loose or too dense if preferable.

Stick a root tab under the crypts, and they will love you for it.

mseguin

If you want to use peat I just put in a filter bag and put it either in the filter or ina an are a of high flow.

Jim

BigDaddy

Quote from: "mseguin"If you want to use peat I just put in a filter bag and put it either in the filter or ina an are a of high flow.

True... but then forget measuring CO2 levels using conventional pH kH ratios... the tannins mess with the readings.

Julie

I do the filter bag too, but these peat pellets for fluval canisters are as hard as a rock and there is essentially no flow in the gravel to my knowledge; how long would it take for those to actually break down?
I can see the use of peat based soil causing a problem; but there are many beautiful tanks growing this way.
This is my fun tank, and I really enjoy it.  :)

Julie

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Jim"whats a root tab?  :?

Its a fertilizer shaped like a pill that you can bury in the gravel near the plant.  Great, because algae doesn't grow roots, your root tabs will never be the cause of algae.

mseguin

Since I haven't worried abotu CO2 levels before, why would I start now?  :D The high tech presentation should be quite enlightening.

Julie

I'm sure those tabs must release something into the water, I've watched the fish after planting those and there is definitely something occurring there.

Julie

mseguin

If yuo have proper substrate and bury them deep enough the amount released is minimal, as they are slow release.

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Julie"I'm sure those tabs must release something into the water, I've watched the fish after planting those and there is definitely something occurring there.

Julie

Root tabs or peat pellets?

Julie

Root tabs, the ones in the green box - flora that cost a mint.

Julie

Julie

Do deep beds and rams get along?  Discus and deep beds don't.

Julie

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Julie"Root tabs, the ones in the green box - flora that cost a mint.

Julie

Wouldn't know... I only use the Seachem ones.....

And Nelson keeps his discus in a planted tank with a fairly deep gravel bed...

Julie

BD - I don't see a deep gravel bed in your avatar.  Nice blues by the way.

Julie

BigDaddy

I'm still growing mine out... Nelson has adults.  Aidensmomma has gravel too.. but I'm not sure how deep it is.  Robyn?  Care to let us know?

Julie

It is the flourish ones I use from seachem, I just checked the box.

The beds aren't too deep with the greatest success; but there is still room for error in these tanks in this environment.
When I started keeping discus I kept them in a planted tank.
Properly balanced, meaning little sand bed for the nasties, and high nitrate consuming plants will do the trick, with a wc every now and then.
Back to where they came from,  water always being renewed, mostly overhanging roots, and little plant material.
Water heavily stained with tannins(giving some the impression of filth), but acidic.  
Severums and discus breed in the same areas.
I'm not sure exactly where rams are, but they seem to be as temperamental as the rest.

Julie