Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

biopellets dropping alkalinity?

Started by rgauvin, November 05, 2012, 09:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgauvin

Anyone here running biopellets notice their Alkalinity dropping? Ever seince I added biopellets I've noticed my PH and alk dropping. I am not sure if it is a coincidence and I need to correct the alk shortfall or if I should just cut back/eliminate the biopellets and continue water changes.

RickGervs

I don't run biopellets but I've heard that you have to start VERY VERY slowly, especially in a well-established system because it can be hard on your system.

It's like acclimating a fish. You don't just run your reactor like GFO or Carbon.

rgauvin

yeah, I've started at a half dose, I'm wondering if it is worth going to a 1/4 dosage.

RickGervs

I would start 1/8 depending on how long you have been running your tank.

1/8 - 1/6 - 1/4 - 1/2 then 100%

I want to try biopellets as well so I've read a lot on it.

The slower the better (like everything in SW sadly)

NjOyRiD

Quote from: RickGervs on November 05, 2012, 10:17:22 AM
I would start 1/8 depending on how long you have been running your tank.

1/8 - 1/6 - 1/4 - 1/2 then 100%

I want to try biopellets as well so I've read a lot on it.

The slower the better (like everything in SW sadly)

merci mon chum :) +1
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Dakotamay

Half is way too much to start. Cut back to 1/8 and run that for a few weeks to a month. You can crash your system if you add bio pellets too fast. Be careful.

JetJumper

I don't think biopellets are directly causing your alk to drop.  I can't see any direct chemical reaction that can possible cause this.  HOWEVER, the bacteria that uses the biopellets causes the water to become cleaner.. which in turn can cause corals to grow better, therefore causing your alk to drop.

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

rgauvin

Quote from: Dakotamay on November 06, 2012, 08:19:36 AM
Half is way too much to start. Cut back to 1/8 and run that for a few weeks to a month. You can crash your system if you add bio pellets too fast. Be careful.
yeah, that's why I started with half... thinking I was being cautious. I guess this evenning, I'll pull out at least hald and go from there

RickGervs

redbelly

Quote from: JetJumper on November 06, 2012, 08:43:03 AM
I don't think biopellets are directly causing your alk to drop.  I can't see any direct chemical reaction that can possible cause this.  HOWEVER, the bacteria that uses the biopellets causes the water to become cleaner.. which in turn can cause corals to grow better, therefore causing your alk to drop.

Agreed.

rgauvin

well, I picked up some kent superbuffer dKH. Hopefully that plus water changes will correct things.