Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone know where I can get one of these fittings?

Started by Stussi613, December 01, 2010, 09:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

Spoke to the people at the PVC store today. They said that its not advisable to use regular plumbers tape with these fittings...3mm tape makes a better seal. I guess wrapping enough regular Teflon around to do the job makes them prone to cracking.

And just so everyone is aware, they are currently moving to Boyd Avenue, in fact they are moving over the weekend.
I haz reef tanks.

Philnashbass

Thanks for the mention of they're moving-good to know....I have found the manager there very helpful with my tank/plumbing builds, plus their prices and inventory are superiour to HD, Rona etc.
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

Bigmark

If it's the bulkhead seal that's leaking you could install it with a bead of  silicone  around the hole then squish the bulkhead in and tighten it up or if it's just the one under the substrate and you want it capped get a piece of glass larger than the hole and silicone that over top.

Stussi613

Finally back in Ottawa and had some time so I went to the PVC Store at their new location at 842 Boyd Avenue.  The bulkhead, as it turns out, is a Chemkor Schedule 80...the best of the best according to the owner. He fixed me up with the 3 proper PVC nuts and some 3mm tape designed for PVC fittings.  Total cost?  $10. But there was a catch, they only accept debit and credit on sales over $25 dollars and I didn't have any cash on me. The solution?  He told me to drop by with the money the next time I was in the area.

All I can say is that I second, third and fourth the recommendations people have made about these guys!!
I haz reef tanks.

Philnashbass

I have received similar treatment each time. Unusual customer care in this day and age. Strongly recommended.
I was looking for a union with threaded collar so as to join my sump pump with the PVC plumbing back to my tank. The manager gave me a union with a large female threaded collar and seal--there is zero movement when tightened so as not to change the distance and alter positions/measurements of your plumbing components.

As well, the ball valves are a fraction of the cost compared to HD and Rona - and the inventory has everything you could be looking for, for your build.
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral