Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

light bulb troubles

Started by Nerine, December 27, 2012, 08:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

WHY oh why are bulbs all different sizes?!?!?! I have a bunch of lights hanging about...and I need to replace my 42" bulb, but trouble is they are expensive :P and Big al's seems to be the only ones that have them on a regular basis now (I was told they were discontinued by a guy at Rona...he said LFS are the only places to get them or special order)

Soooo I thought I'll put two other hoods on in it's place. Two hoods, the same size, one has a bulb 18" and the other is 15" and another is 24" ...really? REALLY?! is there no standard? LOL anyone else find that???

fat bulbs, skinny bulbs. ugh :P

I'm tempted to rip out the 42" out of the case...and add two small bulbs in it!! That can't be THAT hard to do right????
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

greenthumbs

yep the guy at rona was right many companies stopped producing T12's. im not sure about T8's. you can convert your old lights but its costly as well.

Nerine

ahhhh. What I don't understand though is how you can have so many light fixtures that are the SAME size on the outside, but have a 15" bulb in one and a 18 in another....thanks light makers!!! is there /was there a standard for fixtures or was it whatever anyone felt?
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

greenthumbs

Yes i agree with you its very confusing with lux and lumens,umols,kalvin, high output, spectrums, sizes, there is a light for almost anything you can think of.. last time i went to the grocery store picking out toothpaste was equaly confusing to me lol.

I am sure someone with electrical experience can help you out. maybe you can run them in a series or parallel from the ballast??. Or maybe its really not that expensive to upgrade the "guts" to a T5 setup, use your old fixtures that way youll be good for at least 10 years before they change formats again LOL

Nerine

Actually it's not so confusing with all the spectrum and such :) I don't like a green looking tank ;) or super white hehe

It's just the size!!! who thought it would be a good idea to stick inside a fixture a 15" bulb, and then in the SAME size fixture an 18" one ???? How does that make any sense haha

I found a 42" at BA's ...but ...I think maybe I can rip the electrical out of the hood and just put two smaller bulbs inside...But the screws are all rusted over...so not sure how messy it will be or if it will break the plastic!