Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Filter Recomendations for a 150 please

Started by lucky777, December 29, 2012, 12:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky777

Just bought a brand new 150 complete setup with lights,tank,stand and canopy.  Now I need to find a filter heater and power head.

I'm not looking for a fancy filter with usb interface and auto prime, I'm just looking for a good solid and reliable filter. I've been using fluval products my whole life and I don't feel ike anything other then the fx5 would suit my needs but then its way out of the price range I want right now. Would definetly like to over filter rather then pick one up that only does up to 150-160. 

I had looked at the Rena, Eheim, Marined and Fluval products.

Any recommendations or suggestions ?

lucius

Congrats!  8)

Big Al's online still has their Boxing Day and all their canister filters are on special right now.  You should check it out.  The FX5 is $50 off.

lucky777

Yeah I know I bought the tank at Aquatica in Pointe Claire yesterday (old Big als) and it was a really good deal.

Natures in Point Claire had the FX5 @ $200.00 off until the end of the week I think it was $289.99.

lucky777

The Rena (API) XP4-XL keeps going on sale on amazon for around $139.99 - $179.99.  I used to have an XP3 years ago and I'm considering it. Was thinking maybe and eheim classic.

Anyone ever buy the Marineland canisters?

Stussi613

I have the XP4. It's a good filter with lots of room for media and a good water volume. It's pretty tall though, so you may want to check the height versus clearance in the bottom of your stand. I think a couple of smaller filters with the same water volume would be a better bet, personally.  If I could find a good condition XP3 I'd probably trade my XP4 straight up for it.
I haz reef tanks.

lucky777

Anyone ever try Odyssea CFS 11i with UV Sterilizer?

1macuser

I've been using the Marineland canister filters for 4 years 1st on was the C220 on my 40gal and now have the C360 on my 90gal flawless operation so far the 3 stage filter is great with my cichlids.
Runs extremely quiet. The only other unit that I would consider is the Ehiem 3e pro, if this one ever dies on me.

lucky777

Found a FX5 on sale and made a 32" inch spray bar for it, seems like a solid filter.  Thank you for the suggestions.